diy solar

diy solar

overloading a mppt through 'WATTs'

vivekgangwar02

I'm from India having same 24v system with lead acid batteries and an ashapower 40amp mppt solar charge controller listed here https://ashapower.in/product/pdk173 (this one is 1200watts for 24v, mine is 1100watts for 24v which is delisted).
I am currently have 550watt panels which is perfectly fine, But I need to have 1100watts of Bifacial panels (2 in total), each one makes 550watts from Front and 30% more (around 180watts) from the back reflection.
This way the total will be greater than 1100watts i.e. it will be 1360watts.
Company claims for 140VOC at 24volts, my 2 panels will have less than 100voc in series and 22Amps of current.
I tried asking this question at my places and even to the support i.e. Does these MPPT works on output current? It says 40amp mppt, does it means it will ignore the extra power and work fine at 24volts and 40ampere?

The thread is a follow up of here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/p...-a-rich-solar-40a-mppt-rated-for-1100w.22685/

tried asking this question at my places and even to the support i.e. Does these MPPT works on output current? It says 40amp mppt, does it means it will ignore the extra power and work fine at 24volts and 40ampere?
Every SCC I have ever seen is listed at its output charging amps.
Most often any mppt will work fine overpaneled a bit as far as the hardware. They just don’t charge beyond the Amps on the nameplate

Some MPPTs (like powrMR) have reports of “hunty” software running the mppt algorithm if paneled above panel input watt ratings- they still work fine but once conditions allow they can’t “figure out” how to track the maximum power point if sun conditions produce more wattage potential than output wattage rating (actually this is always advertised as AMPS at nominal voltage).

I don’t know your products but as long as max volts are not exceeded I don’t see an issue.

Back