diy solar

diy solar

Panel paralleling questions

Mannfamilywoodworks

Solar Enthusiast
I have 6- roughly 35v panels.
Currently 3s-2p. I want to Add more to my array. I plan on getting 6 more panels.
Max pv input voltage is 250v.
I had 6 in series before and I was in the 200-210v range. 8-10amps.

Can I do 4s-3p?
Thatd be roughly 140v input at 24ish amps?
I’ll post pics of panels specifications when I get Homs.

Currently 3s-2p. I want to Add more to my array. I plan on getting 6 more panels.

Can I do 4s-3p?
Shouldn't be a problem. If it can't take the full 24a, it will just take what it can.

Can I do 4s-3p?
"I had 6 in series before and I was in the 200-210v range. 8-10amps."

Then why you want to drop in a lower voltage/higher amperage ? Higher voltage less amperage then less cable losses etc more benefits if inverter supports it.

How can anyone say "you should be fine" without knowing what the inverter is rated for, both in Voc and current?

Without knowing ANYTHING about this inverter my advice is to go 6s2p.

Can I do 4s-3p?
Can you post a pic of the label on your panels and also what charge controller you are presently using.
Max voltage of a charge controller refers to the VOC of the panel or total VOC of the panels in series.
That is different from working voltage which they normally state as a range.

How can anyone say "you should be fine" without knowing what the inverter is rated for, both in Voc and current?

You have to be able to read between the lines.
The information was there.

6s in cold weather will fry my charge controller.
250v max.
Midnights solar has a neat little website you can use to figure it out.
Inverter is a growatt 6k AIO

Shouldn't be a problem. If it can't take the full 24a, it will just take what it can.
Makes sense to me. I believe the max charging amperage I can have is 80amps.
Does that mean I can have 5s-10p? That’s 50 panels lol I’m not opposed honestly.

That would be 175v 80amps if my math and knowledge is correct?

Is this the 6 kW inverter?

If so then it is rated up to 80 A MPPT input and Voc limit of 250 V.

Check the Voc of your panels at the coldest temperature you can experience in your location.

If unsure then add 10% to standard Voc if you experience freezing temps, and add 20% if temps can be way below freezing.

Look at the specification sheet on the panels and tell us what the Voc is listed at and what the minimum temperature you experience may be.

That will dictate how many panels at most can be placed in series. If you are a hot/warm/mild climate then you may be able to do 6S. but if it gets cold then you might be limited to 5S. It depends on your panel's specifications.

A 2P arrangement is preferable if possible. Fewer cables, lower losses, no need for a combiner box or string fusing (although you can still do that). Once you go to 3P or more strings in parallel then you'll need to fuse the strings, usually done via a combiner box.

diy solar

diy solar
Back