diy solar

diy solar

Panels not producing the same voltage

I need to find replacements but am not having any luck.

Also, any recommendations on the best way/tool to solder these, soldering iron or gun, or is there something better, (spot weld) (I haven't done anything like this for over 20 years)

I'v been in electronics 60 years and I don't think I would try removing that. Just cut the two the left connections and bridge another diode in like the 15SQ045 which are easily available. If the cover doesn't close, cut a hole in it and silicone it up once the cover is back on. I can be of no further help and have a simple moto.

Anything not worth doing is not worth doing right.

If the original is rated for 30a, why would I replace it with a 15? Asking because I don't know.

Chances are the forward voltage is lower than the 30A diode and you are less than 10A. Something you could check into. I'm not.

I would cut the diode case in three parts first with a Dremel tool and then desolder the tabs individually.

A very large iron will help when soldering the new ones in. They have enough thermal mass to get the joint hot quickly without overheating everything. I have a few that I bought at flea markets over the years. Perhaps a ham radio friend has one he uses for soldering coax shield. I would use lead/tin solder with decent rosin flux.

@Jrv8984 , if you are near NW Florida you can borrow mine.

I would cut the diode case in three parts first with a Dremel tool and then desolder the tabs individually.

A very large iron will help when soldering the new ones in. They have enough thermal mass to get the joint hot quickly without overheating everything. I have a few that I bought at flea markets over the years. Perhaps a ham radio friend has one he uses for soldering coax shield. I would use lead/tin solder with decent rosin flux.

@Jrv8984 , if you are near NW Florida you can borrow mine.
I'm in Pennsylvania, but thanks for the offer. It appears that the ones in my panels and diodes in the link you sent me are both TO-263, so I assume the dimensions are the same!

Back