diy solar

diy solar

Need help on figuring out whats better in solar panels

alishac

So.. Ive learned allot over the years about solar till I saw one picture that screwed me up. I talked to Nate from Explorist.life
about the picture if it was fake.. I'll attach it in this. But it was 3x 200w shingle black frame panels in parallel.

The specs on the panel is - 27.3voc, 23.1vmp, 8.66imp, 9.17isc
The picture was of a screenshot from their victron smart app..
It was in middle of the day in summer in Western Australia and the panels were laying nearly flat
on the roof. He was getting 679w, 20v, 33.9 current and to the battery lithium 13.90v, 47.80a..

So I did the math.. that's 11.2a current when the max current stats 8.66.. Nate said that would be correct because panels tend to increase power
more then the manufacturer specs..

So here is my issue.. I was like wow then I might get the panels for my rooftop tent, I planned to get 600w on the roof but the size of the panel was too long.

So I contacted sunpower in china and they had a bit better shingle perc 200w and a better price.. But I forgot to see the dimensions which were again too long.

But then I found a panel that's called Exotronic that has 200w G1 mono perc and states a 23% perc cell which is misleading cause in their specs it says the panel is really
only 20.5%... Thing is its thinner then the sunpower shingle panel, and 1kg lighter and 100mm shorter in length and width.. Which then I was confused.

So I told the sunpower people about that.. they said to match the dimensions they would need to cut 1 row on top and 1 row on the side which then drops it down to 180w.. and about 20% drop in power from the 200w version.

The specs on the 180w is - 180w, 28.2voc, 23.9vmp, 7.54imp, 7.98isc and the panel is 22% efficiency compared to the perc mono 20.5% It did drop in weight also
the 200w was 11.5kg, the 180 modified is 9.98kg..

My question is would it be better to go with the mono perc or the shingle perc.. I seen a review on shingle perc and they said based on testing it was about a 15-20% more power gain over mono. But is it worth going with the 180w over the 200w.. Based on the victron mttp calc the mono perc max output based on manufactuer numbers on 3 panels in series is 55amps, and based off numbers of the sunpower 180w shingle perc is max 49amps

Any help would be great on this...

Attachments

• kqOmbcsJLxNRcMyh.png
    kqOmbcsJLxNRcMyh.png
    178 KB · Views: 1
Don't worry.. sungold is going to make me a custom 200w panel.. 30.1v, 7.85a imp, 10.3kg 1450x710x35 shingle perc.
Which should be good.. I asked them if they knew if you can go past the wattage rated because the picture I linked they have 200w shingle panels
and yet they were hitting 226w and the company that sells them said customs reported they would get 215-227w on the 200w panels. Also asked if they know of the IMP being boosted like that one in the picture by 2.64amps or orignal amps imp is 8.66 and in that picture its 11.3...

Back