diy solar

diy solar

Panels on shaded gable roof. - wiring help needed pls.

Fluff34567

Hello all, finally getting round to arranging my mini solar grid tie set up. I have a garden shed with a gable roof. 1 side of the roof gets sun in the morning and the other side gets sun in the afternoon.

I realise a series wiring of all 4 panels won't work properly
My planned inverter only has a single set of inputs. Goodwe gw2000-xs I didn't buy it yet.

Panels are 425w each. 4 panels 1700w total.

What options would I have to get the most efficient power? 2 panels in series and 2 panels in parallel and then use a multi connector?

Will it even work that way ?

Thanks!

Hello all, finally getting round to arranging my mini solar grid tie set up. I have a garden shed with a gable roof. 1 side of the roof gets sun in the morning and the other side gets sun in the afternoon.

I realise a series wiring of all 4 panels won't work properly
My planned inverter only has a single set of inputs. Goodwe gw2000-xs I didn't buy it yet.

Panels are 425w each. 4 panels 1700w total.

What options would I have to get the most efficient power? 2 panels in series and 2 panels in parallel and then use a multi connector?

Will it even work that way ?

Thanks!
2S2P works best, provided the VOC / VMP meets the input requirements for the Goodwe gw2000-xs. THere could be voltage and amperage requirements.

You can make the connections either with a Y Cable or Combiner box. Y Cables are cheaper, but combiner boxes with circuit breakers are better for troubleshooting.

Thanks for the response.. I worked out the voltages amps etc and series works fine but parallel doesn't as would exceed the max amps, even on 2 panels.

Which brings me to next question.. amps!

I have a cheap 800w micro grid tie inverter, I noticed it limits the amps output to around 3/ 3.5 amps.

I thought this is low but looking at some other micro inverters such as enphase the output is only about 1 amp.

For grid tie 220v systems would approx 3 amps on the AC side be expected ?

3A * 220V = 660W, so that would make sense? I'm not sure why the question needs to be asked. Normally you do a 1.2x overpanel ratio so getting 82% of the 800W nameplate makes sense.

Enphase is generally around 300W output so the 1-1.5A output range makes sense.

What is the power limit of the grid tie rules you need to follow, I assume it's for a porch system. Are you allowed to install something like an HM-1000? 4 port Hoymiles microinverter. That would be 2P, 2P into its 2 MPPTs (2 pairs of MC4 inputs), it has internal paralleling so Y connector is not needed.

What is the full spec of the solar panel? There are multiple configurations for the same wattage.
What is the full spec of the inverters?

Screenshots are preferable to self-attested prose.

Why are you planning on an inverter with only a single set of inputs?

2S2P is logical, but I suspect you may not have enough startup voltage for that inverter?

What about using something like two Solis Mini inverters; one for each side? - only 60V start up needed, which should suit 2 panels.

Thanks for the response.. I worked out the voltages amps etc and series works fine but parallel doesn't as would exceed the max amps, even on 2 panels.
Isc or max operating amps?

If the latter, by how much? It would be clipping loss, and may not be significant.

diy solar

diy solar
Back