diy solar

diy solar

Pickup Pop Up Camper

Leep

I just purchased a pickup pop up camper that’s pretty dated and all the electrical is ripped out of it. I want to install some sort of solar system in the range of 200-400 watt solar panels (maybe more, but haven’t decided). I also want to be able to charge with a shore power plugin. The only issue is that it’s a pop up camper, so I’m not sure how solar panels would work on the roof if I always have to crank it up and down, and with that comes the issue of how wiring will even work.

I had a similar consideration for mine. I eventually decided against top mount, but one wiring thought was this: make an extension cable with MC4 or whatever connectors you want. When the camper is lowered, connect the panels to a connector at the base level. Disconnect the connector, raise the top and insert the extension cable to use it when it's raised.

I would use welding wire since its more flexible then you just need to route it so that it does not pinch. This would probably be a great place for an all in one SCC/inverter/charger

Interesting thoughts. I’m still unsure of the ultimate route I’d like to take. Any advice on the type of system to go with? I have not hooked up a solar system before, and it would be great to hear others thoughts on what would work best in a setup like this.

There was another post on this. Search popup camper or "pop up camper"
You mean mine?

Like I said, I opted to not mount on the roof for 2 major reasons: It's a camper. When you go to a park, you almost always get a site under the trees. Not great for solar, so not being anchored to the roof, I can put it in the sun. Then there was the consideration for bouncing, stressing, wind sheer, etc. when on the roof. Didn't want to get to my campsite with a broken panel.

But my camper was unique. If his is what I think it is, a Coleman or Viking with a crank or fold up top, I'd opt for an all-in-one with a remote panel.

Last edited:
When you go to a park, you almost always get a site under the trees.

This brings up echoes of another thread from another place. If your panels are on the roof, and you park in the sun, the panels shade your rig from the sun. Someone on a forum over on The Book of Face said his rig was 15 degrees cooler inside because his solar panels absorbed/reflected the sun. I have not tested that out yet but plan to very soon. I can say that one room my upstairs rooms where my studio is faces due south. That upstairs used to be 20 degrees hotter than the 1st floor. Then I took some old drywall and taped aluminum foil on it and stuck it in the window. With the sun being reflected, that room now does not get hot to the level of a sauna like it used to. The same principle of reflection may or not be at play here. Not to say that standalone panels are a bad idea, but putting them out, taking them in, worrying about theft if I take a nap in the afternoon. (I AM 68 years old here!)

I really do appreciate your thoughts in the replies here. I think I’ve narrowed things down (a little). I want to do 400 watts in solar panels with 4 of the 100 watt HQST solar panels wired in parallel. From there I want to get the EPEVER MPPT 40A solar charge controller and 1 Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery. The only parts I haven’t figured out for this setup is the thickness (in gauge) of wire I should be using from the solar panels to the charge controller and from the charge controller to the battery. From there I’d want a 12v fuse block for 12v appliances (lights / USB chargers / etc.) and an inverter. Still haven’t nailed down what I’d want to do there either. Any thoughts on how this entire system should be constructed? Thanks!

diy solar

diy solar
Back