diy solar

diy solar

Please Explain to this Newbie

TheRuby

(4s 120a bms 12V 280AH)
If I have a load that is causing a DOC, why would adding another batt in parallel lower the amperage?
Wouldn’t the BMS still be overloaded? It’s still hitting 140 amp’s no matter how many batt’s are hooked up to it.

Yes I’m ignant ?‍♂️?
In advance I thank you.

A second battery in parallel will supply approximately half the amps as the power gets split between them.
The 140 total amps will be approximately 70 amps from each battery.

If each battery has it’s own BMS then the current would be 1/2 total load on each BMS ( much better way to protect each battery)

So it’s not the power going through the BMS but how the power is being produced (from the x2 power sources) Since that 140 total amps is being divided the BMS can handle it just fine, yes???

And ya I get the fact that a second bank w/ its own BMS would be best but overkill didnt even suggest that in this situation. (let’s face it, we all are working within certain budget restraints.)

Wouldn’t the BMS still be overloaded? It’s still hitting 140 amp’s no matter how many batt’s are hooked up to it.
If there's only one BMS, it's only one battery.
And yes, the BMS limit is unchanged by adding more capacity under it.
What you are describing is a 2p4s battery.

When discussing lithium a 'battery' is a number of cells complete with a BMS. Any connection to the 'battery' would include its BMS in the circuit .
4S battery.jpg
2P4S battery.jpg

Adding a 4S set of cells to an existing battery 'inside' the BMS is just not done.
4S plus 4S.jpg
Mike

Last edited:
I’m being tripped up because of the misunderstanding of the vernacular.

Crystal clear now folks!

Thank you so much, the Ruby is up and running because of this forum so thank you!!!!

diy solar

diy solar
Back