diy solar

diy solar

Please help me check my plan before I waste a bunch of money

lawful-nervous

TL;DR: Please help me check my product list: Do I have everything sized correctly? Am I missing anything?

---

Hello!

I am working on building a 24v system for a skoolie build. It will accept both solar power and shore power.

I've compiled a list of all the equipment I need. I've done my best to size it accordingly and make sure that I'm buying the right things, but I'd really appreciate some double checking!

Note:
-I plan on using portable solar panels and splicing a plug into the panel/charger controller wires. Can this be done? Any advice or thoughts are welcome!

Thanks for you help!

P.S. Thank you to everyone who helped me size my inverter and convinced me to upgrade from a 12v to 24v system.

Attachments

• Product List (1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
The pdf says " There are portable solar panels.". Does this mean These are?

splicing a plug into the panel/charger controller wires

I don't understand what this means. There are no solar-related wires on the controller, only wire terminals. You strip off the end of the wire, insert into the terminal, and tighten.

I plan on using portable solar panels

One of the major benefits of skoolies is the massive roof real estate for mounted solar. Running mounted, used, higher-voltage panels would have several upsides: they'd always be deployed, run natively at the appropriate voltage for the 24v bank¹, be much cheaper (like $266 instead of $1,320) and IMO be much less of a PITA than storing/deploying portables.

There is a typo/thinko in the pdf. 2x 206Ah in series would 206Ah @ 24v, or 2637Wh. Volts add up in series, Amp-hours add up in parallel.

¹ 24v ones, at least. There are 20v panels (like the ones I use); and you could run pairs in series for a VMP around 60v.

Thank you for taking a look at it for me!

I don't understand what this means. There are no solar-related wires on the controller, only wire terminals. You strip off the end of the wire, insert into the terminal, and tighten.
The idea is to add wires to the charge controller and splice male plugs on the ends. Then add female plugs to the solar panel wires so they can be plugged and unplugged from the charge controller. They will be run through a port on the side of the bus.

One of the major benefits of skoolies is the massive roof real estate for mounted solar. Running mounted, used, higher-voltage panels would have several upsides: they'd always be deployed, run natively at the appropriate voltage for the 24v bank¹, be much cheaper (like $266 instead of $1,320) and IMO be much less of a PITA than storing/deploying portables.
For a few different reasons, roof mounted solar panels just don't make as much sense in our case.

There is a typo/thinko in the pdf. 2x 206Ah in series would 206Ah @ 24v, or 2637Wh. Volts add up in series, Amp-hours add up in parallel.
Thank you! I totally missed that.

Do the rest of the products look alright?

The idea is to add wires to the charge controller and splice male plugs on the ends. Then add female plugs to the solar panel wires so they can be plugged and unplugged from the charge controller. They will be run through a port on the side of the bus.

It might be simpler to wire the controller's PV input to the inside of the port. Then you just plug in the panels into the port on the side of the van.

Do the rest of the products look alright?

The SOK batts are well-respected. I've owned one of the 4215BN controllers and it worked well.

I am not confident enough in my knowledge about the other gear to say one way or another.

diy solar

diy solar
Back