diy solar

diy solar

I need a little help please

chrissy805

Just bought my first RV. It's a rialta. There's a huge panel on my back window that's done a fone job on sunny days I can use my water pump and lights plus ceiling fan and with my fridge on propane I rarely have problems running out of power.
However today was sunny out and I completly lost power in mid day that never happens. ITS recently been raining so I went to check the connections under the panel itself and there were 2 spliced together badly and all crudy so cleaned and reconnected . It worked i had power when I went in to check but it was nit good. The lights barly lit and the inverter wouldn't charge. Till I ran the engine. I don't know why yet or even anything about what the numbers are on the panel or the chargers I have but what i do know is my charger in the closet is blinking green which means it ov over voltage. And the other charging station closer to the battery says its at float? Whatever that means. I'm gonna vreak out my muti meter and see what the reading are at my battery and at me solar panel but the sun's down now so I can't do the sun test thing that was recommended to test if panel good. I have nobody at all to help or ask about nor money to pay to have it looked at for me not whining I'm just saying my only option is to figure it out for myself so if anybody has the time and knowledge to direct me on how to go about this I would be very grateful for. Thanks for reading .

Ok, here's your to-do list once the sun comes out:

Trace out where the wires go in and out of your charge controller, you're going to be poking that.

Disconnect one of the leads from the solar panel connection. Test the voltage on the battery terminals and the solar panel wires.

Start the engine and poke the battery terminals again to see what voltage the engine is feeding to the battery.

If you can get to the specs of your panel, those will help.

Are you sure the green blinking light means over voltage? Usually that means charging.

Ok, get back to us with those readings and we'll go from there.

Back