diy solar

diy solar

I need help with my eg4 3kw

jeffnoyes1

Hi There,

My project is a simple off-grid installation to power a few small things off to the side. Nothing significant or stringent.

Because of this, I went budget friendly on the batteries and ordered 4 eco-friendly batteries from amazon. I also bought used solar panels consisting of 4 335 watt and 3 275 - all in a series. Each panel tests within range using a voltmeter. I spent the most money on a new Eg4 3kw inverter from Signature Solar. All in, I'm at about $2k - so not so budget friendly.

Now for the issues.

If I charge the batteries full and run them in a series, then hook up the system. Everything seems to work. But it stops within days. At first I was getting 6p errors. This I thought was from a faulty battery, so I replaced one battery, recharged them all to full, reconnected the system, and within days I'd be dead again. I grew tired of this over the winter, so let it rest for a bit. With the warming weather, I'm back at it. This time though, I'm getting an error of type 4.

I feel like i have one of 2 things going on. Either I was shipped a faulty Eg4 inverter, or these eco-worthy amazon batteries are faulty. On one hand, I think its the batteries because I had one faulty on the shipment, and another that seems to lag behind the others in charge. On the other, I think its the inverter because even when these batteries are all brand new and charged equally - I still experience a dead system within days.

I do not know how to figure it out. What might you experts recommend?

Thanks
Jeff

If I charge the batteries full and run them in a series, then hook up the system. Everything seems to work. But it stops within days. ...

I do not know how to figure it out.
What do you observe for incoming watts from your panels? What are your charge settings? What amount of loads do you run? What is the capacity of these 4 series connected batteries? (BTW series connected LiFePO4 batteries to get higher voltage is problematic)

If your loads are more than your supply eventually your batteries go dead. Typically setups that work great when the weather is mostly good run into a problem when PV is constrained due to season or weather. Also systems that the supply is not enough to make up for daily loads (charging the battery is a load) plus overhead will slowly end up with an uncharged battery.

So to figure it out start observing loads and supply.

What do you observe for incoming watts from your panels? What are your charge settings? What amount of loads do you run? What is the capacity of these 4 series connected batteries? (BTW series connected LiFePO4 batteries to get higher voltage is problematic)

If your loads are more than your supply eventually your batteries go dead. Typically setups that work great when the weather is mostly good run into a problem when PV is constrained due to season or weather. Also systems that the supply is not enough to make up for daily loads (charging the battery is a load) plus overhead will slowly end up with an uncharged battery.

So to figure it out start observing loads and supply.
This website details all the specs of my system. It shows all the readings of my eg4. https://garnet-rodent-edc.notion.si...lation-705ec3ea94fc488588a7b51e05cea9a6?pvs=4

I'm running no loads except for the 3g4 itself.

Back