diy solar

diy solar

please help with plan for mini split wiring...

afox

I am installing a pioneer 12k mini split and plan to install several more mini splits in the future. The house was built in 1981 with 240v baseboard electric heat and has 200a service. Climate zone 7 in steamboat springs, CO where I saw temps of -37f last winter!

My panel (pictured below) is full but has several lightly used (many of the baseboard heaters removed) double pole/240 circuits. Many of the baseboard heaters have been removed but not all and they are a good backup especially when temps are below -13f (minimum for pioneer mini split).

I am trying to determine best approach for wiring. I tried consulting with an electrician who insists that a fused disconnect is needed and wants $850 to install one. I know a fused disconnect is not needed/required and its very hard to find competent and fairly priced contractors here.

My idea is to replace a lightly used 240 breaker with a quad breaker (2 240v circuits). Use one breaker for the existing circuit and the new circuit going to an outdoor mini panel where I can have one breaker per mini split with appropriate sized breakers for each mini split. The pioneer 12k says 12a min/15a max on its nameplate.

Does that sound like a good plan or is there a better way to do this?

example of a quad breaker:

1697911798244.png

I don't know why, but I don't like the quad breakers. I'd rather I stall more of the dual 120v breakers. But that's personal preference.

Installing a fused disconnect outside at the unit is standard practice and I thought it was required by code, but I haven't done the research.

Also, if you are doing it yourself, the fused disconnects are cheap and a good place to transition to the flexible conduit for the outdoor unit.

Oh, "fuse" was the question. Yeah, I didn't think they need to be fused, just existing. There's circuit protection at the source. Why fuse it at the load? Good point

Still cheap

I don't know why, but I don't like the quad breakers. I'd rather I stall more of the dual 120v breakers. But that's personal preference.

Installing a fused disconnect outside at the unit is standard practice and I thought it was required by code, but I haven't done the research.

Also, if you are doing it yourself, the fused disconnects are cheap and a good place to transition to the flexible conduit for the outdoor unit.

hmmm, suppose I could use 2 of the dual breakers, wonder why anyone uses the quad breakers if you can just use 2 dual breakers?

I want to have the ability to add more mini splits without having to mess with the main panel and run additional wiring from the main panel if possible, hence the idea to install a mini outdoor panel instead of a disconnect at the source. The location is a good place for me to have upto 3 mini splits heating garage, upper floor, and lower floor each with 12'ish linesets each. They would likely be 1-2 more (3max) 12k units. (15a max each).
My main question:
Is a small panel with a breaker for each mini split a good way to go about this? I suppose the small panel would be powered by a 50a breaker in the main panel. The small panel would have upto 3x15a breakers. The small panel avoids having to run wire from the main panel to each mini split and because the main panel is out of space it avoids having to use a bunch of dual or quad breakers.

A service discount is required adjacent to the equipment. It does not need to be fused.
If you install an outdoor panel, near the two units. Those breakers will count as the disconnects.

NEC code rules used to be disconnects needed within 50 feet and within sight of. I haven't read an NEC in about 30 years so maybe they changed the rules or mini-split manufactures have rules that are more stringent.

Back