diy solar

diy solar

Please reccomend a shunt or inductive for measuring small current/wattages.

I feel stupid. I ordered the victron shunt and cable and remembered there is a much better tool to do what I want that I had planned to use a couple years ago.

I already have one for controlling the generator. Wish I had ordered two back when they were $150.00.?

UNI-T UT210E is a hall effect device - no shunt and portable. very useful for measuring current in solar strings where the individual wires are available as opposed to a pair of wires. It can also be clamped around any of your high current interconnects or to check the accuracy of built in current monitors. It has a zero feature , useful for cancelling out Earth's magnetic field , especially on the low current setting. Be aware that it always starts up in the AC current mode, so change to DC current

UNI-T UT210E is a hall effect device - no shunt and portable. very useful for measuring current in solar strings where the individual wires are available as opposed to a pair of wires. It can also be clamped around any of your high current interconnects or to check the accuracy of built in current monitors. It has a zero feature , useful for cancelling out Earth's magnetic field , especially on the low current setting. Be aware that it always starts up in the AC current mode, so change to DC current

The Tycon monitor I linked to above (and ordered yesterday) lets you measure 4 currents: 3 passing through the device up to 10 amps each and 1 external shunt of your choice.

It also lets you measure 4 seperate voltages and control 4 relays based on those currents, voltages, time, temperature etc.

Got the Tycon Monitor installed. I already had a yet to be used shunt installed at the battery. (That I forgot about). It's now wired to thus thing along with some small parasitic loads (cameras, amplifier, echo dot etc) that I wanted to monitor with greater resolution. The box also has 4 relays that you can control based myriad inputs so I moved a few items off of cloud based stuff and onto this box. I now have to access this through remote desktop instead of an app but that's OK.

1) I added a fan in my equipment compartment that is controlled by amps flowing into the battery.

2) I have a fan that draws in outside air to cool the mini PC that is now temperature activated.

3) Boost mode for the progressive dynamics charger us now based on a sudden increase in battery Amps. I.E. when the Gen starts, it puts the charger into Boost mode.

4) I now turn the inverter on and off via remote desktop instead of ewelink. The ewelink app often lost comm due to not updating the dns often 3 enough (cell network).Screenshot_20221029-132002_Remote Desktop.jpg

diy solar

diy solar
Back