diy solar

diy solar

Please review my system

jimbo56k

Hello folks, I need help reviewing for approval or improvements on the calculations I've made on my system. I have most, if not all of the items in the diagram, except for the wires. Don't mind all the weird pics I have around the diagram or the little circles with dots, these were things I did find helpful to work each day on the diagram and might not exactly reflect my values. I would appreciate any input or suggestions.

Main system's composed of:

Growatt 5000es-US Inverter (450 Max Voc)
Growatt 5000 Auto transformer
10x Sunpower E20-435W (428Voc total )
2x 600A capable busbars
4x EG4 LiFePo batteries

*Probably I will think about using the Growatt's AC bypass in the future, but for now the system's going to be used totally off-grid with a manual transfer switch for isolation safety issues.

I had so much confusion de-rating the wires after the junction box.

This article picked the highest ampacity of the 125% rule vs conduit fill and temp de-rating to choose the wire.

Temperature correction factor = 0.82, Conduit fill factor = 0.8

Step A, Ampacity Rule: 50/0.8/0.82 = 76.2 amps and a 4 AWG cable is needed

Step B, 125% Rule: 1.25 x 50 = 62.5 amps calling for a 6 AWG cable.

The 4 AWG cable is the larger of the two and must be used.

Compared to alt-E store calculations (the way I did it in the diagram), which used over irradiance, continuous current, conduit fill and temp de-ratings. I don't mind going down this road. It's basically pennies compared to the huge investment on the whole system. Better safe than sorry and over designed.

Thank you for any inputs or suggestions.

diagram.png

Back