diy solar

diy solar

Poco says I didn't pay them?

I paid a $1.99 last month. I expected to pay more due to the standard customer fee and the fact that my state is straight kwh for kwh netmetering.

I paid a $1.99 last month. I expected to pay more due to the standard customer fee and the fact that my state is straight kwh for kwh netmetering.
It's nice to pay almost nothing when my neighbors are paying $300-$400

It's nice to pay almost nothing when my neighbors are paying $300-$400

But your neighbors probably did not pay $$$ for a solar system either. ;) I don't know what the ROI is where you are, but electricity is still too cheap here to be cost effective. I have my systems more for the hobby than to try and save a buck. My ROI with all of the upgrades and whatnot I have done over the years, is probably 30+ years out.

Joking aside, I assume you can accrue credits and apply them later, like in the winter.
Is that how it works for you?
Correct 👍🏻. And that's the plan. Burn up as much as possible in winter. And if credits get too high send an email to the CEO of the co-op

But your neighbors probably did not pay $$$ for a solar system either. ;) I don't know what the ROI is where you are, but electricity is still too cheap here to be cost effective. I have my systems more for the hobby than to try and save a buck. My ROI with all of the upgrades and whatnot I have done over the years, is probably 30+ years out.
Nor would I want them to. Solar is such a scam(being serious here).

Since I diyed my system I saved a lot! The grid tied part (18kw pv and 11.5 kw inverter, mounts. Installation) was about $12k after tax credit.

With the amount of energy I consume my payback at today's prices would be just under 7 years

I have a battery system as well but my bill would still be less than zero each month without the battery

1 - Hobby = Figure it out. Does this sh*t actually work
2 - Future Proof, when the rates go bonkers
3 - Preparedness for the Zombie apocalypse

I'm still stunned I can actually run my house all day when it's 114F outside, throw a few electrons at the EV's and never touch the grid. I'm self sufficient for the most part, I use the grid as my generator. The feeling is really great.

With the amount of energy I consume my payback at today's prices would be just under 7 years

Hopefully nothing breaks or needs to be upgraded during that time. That's just another thing a lot of people never seem to take into account when talking about ROI. I am not knocking anyone for doing any of this, I just don't think it is totally accurate when comparing ones electric costs to a neighbor without factoring ones expense to get there.

1 - Hobby = Figure it out. Does this sh*t actually work
2 - Future Proof, when the rates go bonkers
3 - Preparedness for the Zombie apocalypse

1. For me, I have been doing this as a hobby for over 25 years. Was a beta tester for the original Xantrex grid tie inverter. Now I just try different things just to see if I can get it to work the way I want.
2. If the rates go bonkers I think I will have bigger issues to worry about. My bill for my 2400sq ft house averages $165. Even if it tripled, it would not break the bank.
3. Unless people also have another source of food and water, having power during the zombie apocalypse is not going to save them

Hopefully nothing breaks or needs to be upgraded during that time. That's just another thing a lot of people never seem to take into account when talking about ROI. I am not knocking anyone for doing any of this, I just don't think it is totally accurate when comparing ones electric costs to a neighbor without factoring ones expense to get there.
Fair point.

I don't really expect the mounts, wire, breakers, or conduit to break.
Im expecting 40 years out of the panels. The only thing I expect to replace is the inverter and that's $1000. I keep it indoors in an air conditioned shed so I'm hoping it lasts 10 years or longer knock on wood

Last edited:
That's why I am minimizing what goes on the roof. Panels and RSD. Minimize what can break on the roof minimizes maintenance costs. I can swap out the inverter myself. Wire the strings into a new cheap inverter. Etc.

That's why I am minimizing what goes on the roof. Panels and RSD. Minimize what can break on the roof minimizes maintenance costs. I can swap out the inverter myself. Wire the strings into a new cheap inverter. Etc.
Straight-up: Putting the rails and panels on the roof was pretty trivial IMNSHO. I have a lot of them (32) but really nothing to it, a wrench and a portable drill, couple of J-boxes. Panels are only ~ 50lbs. Humping the effing inverter on the wall required assistance. Caveat: I have a single story low-pitch (2/12) roof. Some of these new panels are huge as well.

Straight-up: Putting the rails and panels on the roof was pretty trivial IMNSHO. I have a lot of them (32) but really nothing to it, a wrench and a portable drill, couple of J-boxes. Panels are only ~ 50lbs. Humping the effing inverter on the wall required assistance. Caveat: I have a single story low-pitch (2/12) roof. Some of these new panels are huge as well.

2/12 pitch is nice. My shed is 4/12 and it was , as you say, trivial ,to get panels up there myself.

The house is almost 9/12 and there is no way I'm going up there.no sir. Having been in the life insurance industry I'm deathly 🤣 afraid of ladders, steep roofs, and heights. So I happily paid someone to take that risk. My roof is metal though so I'm not concerned about having to take down panels to replace the roof, in my lifetime.

Last edited:
My ROI based purely on electric costs is 30+ years like yours due my over engineering and hiding the panels behind the pole barn 400 ft from the house. So each month I take what I didn't spend on electricity from what I budget for my electric bill and and pay a little extra on the mortgage. So my (non-accountant) ROI math is electric saved + extra house principal + the interest saved from the extra principal payment. That ROI looks a lot better!

diy solar

diy solar
Back