diy solar

diy solar

Poll: will it work? Prius as a generator, direct charging of 48V from traction battery

Will it work, or should I expect the magic smoke?

• Magic smoke release imminent.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Precisely my point. Generator charging is typically at a consistent power level, hence why I compared two generators running at 4kW thus negating duty cycle as a consideration.
Can we conclude that using an inverter on a Prius for low power applications may not be quite as efficient as hauling a generator around but it's OK?

Just so I understand, what do you mean?
I was referring to this statement:
It will do it briefly, but you have to cut the throttle and then re-floor it about every 5-10 seconds.

@AntronX seemed to float the idea of hacking the ECU via CAN to get a sustained 16kW output. But if the Toyota guys implemented a time limit on the forced charge like you described, then I don’t think I’d even want to attempt to seek that kind of continuous output. At least, not on an otherwise functional car.

I was referring to this statement:

@AntronX seemed to float the idea of hacking the ECU via CAN to get a sustained 16kW output. But if the Toyota guys implemented a time limit on the forced charge like you described, then I don’t think I’d even want to attempt to seek that kind of continuous output. At least, not on an otherwise functional car.

Best to consider the Prius as a 4-5kW generator. That's 96kWh/day or more... :p

The traction battery can handle up to 250V AC or DC, it might work to directly charge your 48V battery with the Eltek Flatpack2 HE rectifier modules. Just make sure to monitor everything closely, especially the voltage levels, to avoid any mishaps.

diy solar

diy solar
Back