diy solar

diy solar

pond pump vacation kit

brokensword

I'm looking to make/buy a backup battery power system for my 7K pond which is totally screened in. I worry re any power outage that there'll be no one to hook up a gasoline generator while we're not at home/on vacation. I have quite a few fish and they'll need aeration minimally. I was looking at backup power re batteries and solar panels but would rather have some experienced user explain and tell me what I'd need. Ideally I'd like to run one pump (250w) and an aerator (40w). I'd at least try for 2-3 of the same aerator should the project get too expensive or the equipment too numerous to fit inside the pondhouse. I would want to get 3 days of power outage covered by this system. I'd like it to kick in when the mains electricity went out, automatically, and switch back when power returns with no damage done either way. The unit would be outside, exposed to the elements, though I could rig a covering, but if solar, the panels obviously have to be exposed to the sun/weather. I started off looking at the ecogen and jackery types, but feel either price/workmanship/output may not be sufficient. I'm doing this in lieu of going with a whole house generator, simply because outages are less frequent and the price and labor exorbitant.

Can anyone outline a plan to either DIY something or buy the best option? I'm in Michigan, winters are pretty cloudy but I don't need this for then, just summer. I get a decent amount of sunlight, so was thinking solar to charge normally during outages to help extend the coverage time. Thanks in advance for any help!

Run 24/7? 300w 24/7 is 7.2kWh. An eg4 powerpro battery is about $3,500 for 14kWh. An eg4 3000 aio is about $600. Add panels.

Put a timer to run 15min on, 15min off, and you can double the run time to 4 days.

Can anyone outline a plan to either DIY something or buy the best option? I'm in Michigan, winters are pretty cloudy but I don't need this for then, just summer. I get a decent amount of sunlight, so was thinking solar to charge normally during outages to help extend the coverage time. Thanks in advance for any help!
I'd steer you towards a "inverter-charger". Many of them are built to do exactly what you want.

Compare them to the UPS that your desktop computer is plugged into.

Run 24/7? 300w 24/7 is 7.2kWh. An eg4 powerpro battery is about $3,500 for 14kWh. An eg4 3000 aio is about $600. Add panels.

Put a timer to run 15min on, 15min off, and you can double the run time to 4 days.
thanks; I'll definitely look into that! Appreciate the help!

I'd steer you towards a "inverter-charger". Many of them are built to do exactly what you want.

Thank you; will look into this as I hadn't run across this kind of system in my searching!

so, starting to try and understand the inverter charger, I'd need this unit PLUS a battery and if I get it with solar charging, this would be all I need? I'd have the battery plugged to be charged via normal AC mains electricity and also solar panels, then have this connected to the inverter-charger and then my pond pump/aerator plugged into this, correct? Do you have a brand you'd recommend? Looked at two from Amazon just to read the comments and don't want something that'll fail just out of warranty. The Cobra Pro 3000W version is one highly rated; your thoughts? And I've seen the Lifepo4 battery talked about; is this one/type you'd recommend?

And ideally, I'd like this unit to be on standby unless using this actually cuts my electricity bill down as an advantage.

Cobra is inverter only. You would need to add a ac battery charger. If you want to add solar, then a solar charge controller.

Look at the EG4 3000 I mentioned earlier.

Cobra is inverter only. You would need to add a ac battery charger. If you want to add solar, then a solar charge controller.

Look at the EG4 3000 I mentioned earlier.
so, doing my research. What brand of solar panel and battery would you recommend? I see Lifepo4 battery talked about a lot. And for this system, I'd need (4) 12v units in sequence, right? Then there's the solar panel minimum of 120w, yes? In reading, I'm not wondering if this would be a lot better to have a subpanel and power some part of the house at the same time as I have aquariums, not to mention refrigerators, maybe the furnace (for winter). For such, the 3000w is probably not large enough, correct? How would you do something like this last idea, supposing I power a subpanel with the pond pumps (2 pumps at 250w each), one aquarium (aerator, LED light, 75w heater), a refrigerator, a chest freezer, a gas powered furnace (I don't know the power draw of these last three but maybe you can guesstimate just for discussion's sake). I'd like to get 3 days out of any backup as we've had power outages happen like this routinely, though the past couple years has been much better. I'm trying to figure out which way to go; whole house gen or this converter unit, which is looking better and better all the time. May still just power the pond, but you have me thinking!!

[edit] would something like the link below, be sufficient? I'd have to add the solar panels. It at least gives me some base for comparison;

Last edited:
The kit your link is good. As long as the battery is not exposed to freezing weather, LiFePO4 battery is preferred. One 48v battery is preferred to 4 12v batteries. 120v from one or more panels is the minimum 450v (max 500 Voc). I'm guessing you need a minimum of 2,000 watts of panels. I have no recommendation on panels. If you add more appliances, you need to add more battery and panels. Maybe upgrade to the 6000xp inverter.

I'm trying to figure out which way to go; whole house gen or this converter unit, which is looking better and better all the time.
Once you catch the solar bug, you will end up with whole house. Starting out that way is much easier in the long-run. Depending upon your needs, the EG4 18kpv or the new 12kpv. People are also happy with multiple EG4 6000xp.

Once you catch the solar bug, you will end up with whole house. Starting out that way is much easier in the long-run. Depending upon your needs, the EG4 18kpv or the new 12kpv. People are also happy with multiple EG4 6000xp.
ha, so even MORE to research...heh, no problem, and it IS getting interesting! Thank you for the help!

with the larger system (EG4 18kpv), it's still one battery (48v)? Or does that V go up as did the solar W number?

with the larger system (EG4 18kpv), it's still one battery (48v)? Or does that V go up as did the solar W number?
Battery voltage stays the same. You would want more Amp Hours. Each 15k can draw 275 amps off the battery. If you have two 15k's, then you want at least 600ah of batteries (about 30kWh).

Battery voltage stays the same. You would want more Amp Hours. Each 15k can draw 275 amps off the battery. If you have two 15k's, then you want at least 600ah of batteries (about 30kWh).
okay, so trying to wrap my head around exactly what I'd be needing, I want to spitball here what I think I know. It seems I either have to make a commitment to whole house, or go partial. I was thinking originally of a portable unit near the pond to keep it all running, which would mean weatherproofing and theft securing the unit. I assume the solar panels would be weatherproof, but not battery or inverter. Then with your prompting and some reading, it seems I should install the inverter and batteries in my basement and set up a separate sub panel box with the circuit to the pond inside this. Then to take more advantage during power outages, I also would run various circuits like refrigerators, furnace, aquarium outlets, possibly the well pump (runs on 220 and haven't delved into whether this can do that also, yet; thoughts?). So I'd be manipulating the current mains box and running those wires into this new sub panel, correct? When mains power is reconnected, this inverter would switch back via UPS. Is there a function whereby such above can be powered via solar and inverter while mains is working? So anything connected to this sub panel is not using the grid but solar/battery?

Then we come to the battery total; you mentioned 2000W for the solar; what number of batteries would I need (just a guesstimate for talking purposes)? It says I can have up to 12 in parallel.

Part of what I'm now running into is the cost, realizing the ROI isn't super long but the initial outlay may be more daunting then I want to get into, esp since it'll probably be myself hooking all this up. Not that I can't learn and I do have some basic construction knowledge from building the house initially. If I can get a good list of parts and their costs, I can also then inquire what an electrician would charge to do the work should I feel less than up to this task. It's more I won't know when/if to adapt within the situation as I have no experience. And I see this as a sub panel for part of the house/pond or, doing the whole house, and I'd want to price it both ways with obvious choices now increasing the size of everything . I'm now running a 200A circuit box with a 50A sub panel (ran out of room on the larger with time and add-ons). And I balance this whole idea with just getting a whole house NG powered generator, knowing it's only for those emergency moments. I'm looking at the cost savings here of being off grid at least partially (I'm in Michigan; winters are very much not sunny) so ROI is involved along with the scope of this project, be it by myself or hiring a professional.

I appreciate any further instruction and thoughts you might have to guide me here. I may just go with something small and portable to get my feet wet, but don't like double work or wasting money unnecessarily, so am stretching the bounds here with the simple 'protect the pond' idea. Thank you!

diy solar

diy solar
Back