diy solar

diy solar

Power Inverter needed for 20W Solarpanel

ency

Hello,

i have a question regarding a 20W Solarpanel which was delivered with my camera which i use in my garden with a sim card. I would also to use this solarpanel to charge my iphone or charge my laptop. What do i need? The solarpanel has a 12V DC Cable like this one here: https://www.google.de/url?sa=i&url=...ved=0CBMQjhxqFwoTCODpvdqA_P4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI

So do i need a power inverter or any other adapter to be able to charge laptop and mobile phone? Could you pls send me links what i shall buy :)
Thx a lot!

The phone you can charge with a USB 5V module often included in these small 20W panel; the module delivers up to 20W at 5V, just what phones need; which is 5-10W. This one is easy.

For the laptop I doubt you can directly charge it with a 20W panel, often they require at least 40W in shut off mode.
You can maybe charge your laptop with a charge controller (PWM or MPPT) and a 100Wh approx. battery; yet here you may encounter complications because many laptops use 19,5V (so you need a DC-DC converter to modify the 12V from the panel) and many laptops require signals from the charging cables that allow the charging to start, so can the laptop ensure the charger used is safe (or from the same brand of the laptop). Another option is that you use a tiny DC-AC inverter of 300W in combination with your laptop charger, but then you may need a slightly bigger battery because their conversion efficiency is 85% with an idle consumption of 5-10W. So assuming you need 2 hours to charge your laptop in shut-off mode, that is 80W charging + 20W idle inverter + 15W conversion inefficiencies +10% overdesign = 130Wh battery for a full charge.

This will charge your phone

20w/12v solar panel wired directly into the back of this should be OK

Charging the laptop is a whole different kettle of fish

You would need:

a bigger solar panel
a solar charge controller (PWM or MPPT) ,
a 12v battery (car battery or caravan battery)
cables and fuses

And then either:

A 12v inverter with your normal laptop charger plugged into it

Or

A suitable universal 12v laptop charger like this link

I'd estimate less than €200 total to take your laptop permanently off grid

Last edited:
My solution for charging phones is very similar, but slightly different

I have a 5v solar panel designed battery CCTV cameras , it has a micro usb output

I use it to charge a small power pack

IMG_20230517_135629.jpgIMG_20230517_135646.jpgIMG_20230517_135624.jpgIMG_20230517_135546.jpgIMG_20230517_135551.jpg

Like these for example:

Back