diy solar

diy solar

PowMr 5kW AIO inverter burned out

mrzed001

Voice of reason
Hi ,

OP bought and installed a new PowMr WM5k-III inverter about a month ago.

type2.jpg

Used it with 9 solar panels:
- 6pcs of 410W, 49.5Voc, 40.9Vmpp
- 3pcs of 390W, 45.06Voc, 38.01Vmpp. One of them was connected to a TIGO optimizer (because of shadows)
All together 432Voc, (would be 475Voc in -10 Celsius), 359Vmpp (near the inverters ideal 320Vmpp)
So ideal for the MPPT specification.
DC fuse and DC overvoltage protection was on the PV string (there was no storm, no lightning).

And then in a sunny day ... the magic smoke escaped from the unit.
Cause unknown.
The MPPT part is heavily damaged. The DC bus is fried. And it even burned out the AC side.

We still do not know what caused this brutal malfunction.
Any ideas are welcome :)

Some pics from the motherboard of the inverter

IMG_20220330_173820.jpg

IMG_20220330_190404.jpg

IMG_20220330_190508.jpg

IMG_20220330_190909.jpg

IMG_20220330_173718.jpg

IMG_20220330_173743.jpg

Any word from PowMr yet?

I'm guessing maybe you had the Red Bull Mt Dew X-Treme MaXXX Power Point firmware installed? :LOL::oops:

No response until now :)

Lately we see several bad clone units.
Hungarian users bough about 6 blue-white units from EASun lately.
And 2 of them arrived dead (from German warehause).
It is always a struggle to convince them to replace bad units.

Read through this post from yesterday-

and it may give you some idea.

All together 432Voc, (would be 475Voc in -10 Celsius), 359Vmpp (near the inverters ideal 320Vmpp)
In the manual-

"The solar inverter accepts a maximum of 500VDC input and requires a 48V battery input to operate. This will require combining solar panels in series or series parallel to achieve the minimum voltage DC requirement. Due to many factors affecting PV performance, it is recommended to utilize the open circuit voltage (Voc) when connecting panels in series to make sure you stay under the 450VDC input"

450vdc????

Hi ,

OP bought and installed a new PowMr WM5k-III inverter about a month ago.

View attachment 89999

Used it with 9 solar panels:
- 6pcs of 410W, 49.5Voc, 40.9Vmpp
- 3pcs of 390W, 45.06Voc, 38.01Vmpp. One of them was connected to a TIGO optimizer (because of shadows)
DC fuse and DC overvoltage protection was on the PV string (there was no storm, no lightning).

And then in a sunny day ... the magic smoke escaped from the unit.
Cause unknown.
The MPPT part is heavily damaged. The DC bus is fried. And it even burned out the AC side.

We still do not know what caused this brutal malfunction.
Any ideas are welcome :)

Some pics from the motherboard of the inverter

View attachment 90003

View attachment 90005

View attachment 90007

View attachment 90008

View attachment 90009

View attachment 90010

ouch, this one is def. gone with the wind.
What i was told by voltronics is to always keep the Voltage below 450..
While it should be able handle 500 , it is for a very short time only

That being said...
i am still not convinced Powmr and EAsun use the same quality component that Voltronics/Mpp-solar use

Read through this post from yesterday-

and it may give you some idea.

In the manual-

"The solar inverter accepts a maximum of 500VDC input and requires a 48V battery input to operate. This will require combining solar panels in series or series parallel to achieve the minimum voltage DC requirement. Due to many factors affecting PV performance, it is recommended to utilize the open circuit voltage (Voc) when connecting panels in series to make sure you stay under the 450VDC input"

450vdc????

And 432Voc is less. Even lesser by the low, early spring sun.
OP measured about 404Voc.
I would used 1 PV panel less ... but it is still according to specs :)

And this damage is extensive ... the motherboard almost burned through in one place.

ouch, this one is def. gone with the wind.
What i was told by voltronics is to always keep the Voltage below 450..
While it should be able handle 500 , it is for a very short time only
Of course because it works to the 400V DC Bus. The max is 500Vdc this Bus can handle (really 550V).
If it reaches 500V then inverter stops and throws: Error 08 DC Bus over voltage

That being said...
i am still not convinced Powmr and EAsun use the same quality component that Voltronics/Mpp-solar use
I never said they do :)
To be 10-20% cheaper on the same manufacturing country (or line) you must loose some protection, use cheaper components, ...

And 432Voc is less. Even lesser by the low, early spring sun.
OP measured about 404Voc.
I would used 1 PV panel less ... but it is still according to specs :)

And this damage is extensive ... the motherboard almost burned through in one place.

Of course because it works to the 400V DC Bus. The max is 500Vdc this Bus can handle (really 550V).
If it reaches 500V then inverter stops and throws: Error 08 DC Bus over voltage

I never said they do :)
To be 10-20% cheaper on the same manufacturing country (or line) you must loose some protection, use cheaper components, ...
I wish that did not happen to you.

Do you know if any other components are damaged? How are your batteries and wiring from the panels?

PowerMR, Epever, Mppsolar, Growatt obviously use the same manufacturing facilities. No doubt many other companies do as well and isn't PowerMR and Growatt the same company? May even see some type of Victrons travelling down the same conveyor belts.

To differentiate when a economy branded case comes along the hand goes into the economy parts bin and not the more expensive one beside it.
Look up teardowns on YouTube....same cases different insides. Time allowed for the hand soldering, assembly, and quality control would vary with make.....Victrons will come along the belt early in the shift....PowerMr in the last hour....
The clones that some brand name companies complain about may have been knowingly designed by that same company to compete in a different value market.

All this doesn't take the pain away from your 5000kw inverter failure but it may help to explain how different branded 5000kw inverters coming out of the same factory may need to be treated differently.

An analogy to all this is that accident down in Melbourne where a pedestrian being killed by a Tesla on Autopilot. Elon Musk is not the one up on a manslaughter charge as it should be. It is the one that bought his hype!

Last edited:
PowerMR, Epever, Mppsolar, Growatt obviously use the same manufacturing facilities. No doubt many other companies do as well and isn't PowerMR and Growatt the same company? May even see some type of Victrons travelling down the same conveyor belts.

To differentiate when a economy branded case comes along the hand goes into the economy parts bin and not the more expensive one beside it.
Look up teardowns on YouTube....same cases different insides. Time allowed for the hand soldering, assembly, and quality control would vary with make.....Victrons will come along the belt early in the shift....PowerMr in the last hour....
The clones that some brand name companies complain about may have been knowingly designed by that same company to compete in a different value market.

All this doesn't take the pain away from your 5000kw inverter failure but it may help to explain how different branded 5000kw inverters coming out of the same factory may need to be treated differently.

An analogy to all this is that accident down in Melbourne where a pedestrian being killed by a Tesla on Autopilot. Elon Musk is not the one up on a manslaughter charge as it should be. It is the one that bought his hype!

You know in China sometimes the same line produces the Nike shoes by day and Nika/Niko/Nake (cheap counterfeit) shoes by night.
And the original is good and the copy is bad.
They are made from different materials ...

One other important part is quality control.

Believe me there are no wonders.
If both are made in the same country, in the same line, and one is 20% cheaper ... then it is not the same quality.

Victron is made in India. So not China :)

And ... back to the topic :)

Last edited:
It seems everything else survived it.
Batteries OK, PV OK.
Cool,
I have the AIO powmr 3000 watt unit, which I hope to put into service soon. I also purchased an Epever 4615 charge controller which will keep me from approaching the PV input limits of the AIO. My anticipated loads will approach 2000 watts at peak. I have heard of folks running their powmr units at or near the limits but whenever it comes to budget equipment, I stay away from limits.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out.
Are you using a translator or writing in English?

PowMr are Chinese ripoff of another Chinese brand, MakeSkyBlue.
They seam to really sell all the same exact things than MakeSkyBlue, but they use different color for there ripoff brand.
It's not abnormal to see PowMr unit catch on fire. It's actually pretty common from when I saw on the web.

The original brand, MakeSkyBlue, is fine (and quite good for the price actually).
Always buy these from original MakeSkyBlue aliexpress store, if it's not at makeskyblue store, then it's surelly a fake or another ripoff brand like PowMr. Also take it apart when you receive it to be sure it say MakeSkyBlue somewhere on the PCB silkscreen.

Here an example with there charge controller units.

1649865032334.png

1649865084698.png

1649865147673.png

Last edited:
PowMr are Chinese ripoff of another Chinese brand, MakeSkyBlue.
They seam to really sell all the same exact things than MakeSkyBlue, but they use different color for there ripoff brand.
It's not abnormal to see PowMr unit catch on fire. It's actually pretty common from when I saw on the web.

The original brand, MakeSkyBlue, is fine (and quite good for the price actually).
Always buy these from original MakeSkyBlue aliexpress store, if it's not at makeskyblue store, then it's surelly a fake or another ripoff brand like PowMr. Also take it apart when you receive it to be sure it say MakeSkyBlue somewhere on the PCB silkscreen.

Here an example with there charge controller units.

View attachment 91080

View attachment 91081

View attachment 91082
I wonder if the two companies are owned by cousins?

Any updates for us, ON TOPIC?

Still waiting ... maybe they send a replacement unit (or only motherboard) .... maybe not.

With EASun we had some bad experience.
2 unit arrived bad.
- burned on first power up. They still did not send the replacement.
- only display was not working. They denied the replacement. We opened it up and found that they forgot to connect the display cable. 1 minute fix and working :)

Still waiting ... maybe they send a replacement unit (or only motherboard) .... maybe not.

With EASun we had some bad experience.
2 unit arrived bad.
- burned on first power up. They still did not send the replacement.
- only display was not working. They denied the replacement. We opened it up and found that they forgot to connect the display cable. 1 minute fix and working :)
Would you provide a link to the EASun products?

Back