diy solar

diy solar

Ppower Usageby Induction Cooktop

Freddmc

I am wanting to put an induction cooktop (single burner) into my motor home
. The specs say its usage is 200-1800 watts.
Am I correct in determining that this unit will use up to 150 amp hours (depending on length of usage) from my 12 volt battery system (thru the inverter) .
Just want to make sure my calculation method is correct.
Regards
Fred,

150Ah at 12V is 1.8kWh in energy stored. In other words, if you were to turn on the induction cooktop to maximum (1800W) and run it for one hour you'd use up this 1.8kWh of energy. (not taking losses into account)

Note: An induction cooktop requires a pure sinewave inverter.

upnorthandpersonal is correct, but let's look at one of those losses he mentions:

... specs say its usage is 200-1800 watts.
...will use up to 150 amp hours (depending on length of usage) from my 12 volt battery system...Just want to make sure my calculation method is correct.

The calculations should look like this:

1800W / 120V = 15 amps of AC.

For 12V DC, you just divide the 1800 by 12... but let's assume the Inverter is 85% efficient... so really 1800 / .85 /12 = 176 Amps.
Similarly 200 / .85 / 12 = ~20 Amps

So, if you use it for an hour, that would be more like 20 to 176 Ah. From the length and gauge of the wire you can use a calculator to determine more losses, but typically with short cable runs the inverter will be your biggest.

induction devices are very bad for electronics on the same line, included inverters.
you should avoid them , especially the cheap one.
they have usually an awfull cos phi, meaning the current and volt are dephased, so the apparent power is totally off and your inverter is pedaling to keep up.
and the worse part is to come.
These devices are generating high frequencies over the AC line that are unfortunately high enough to defeat filters from others devices on the same line. so you can have your others devices exagerrating heated by these "phantom' signals.
better to use gaz.

induction devices are very bad for electronics on the same line, included inverters.
you should avoid them , especially the cheap one.
they have usually an awfull cos phi, meaning the current and volt are dephased, so the apparent power is totally off and your inverter is pedaling to keep up.
and the worse part is to come.
These devices are generating high frequencies over the AC line that are unfortunately high enough to defeat filters from others devices on the same line. so you can have your others devices exagerrating heated by these "phantom' signals.
better to use gaz.
Is there a way to determine a good induction cooktop that doesn't have this issue? Or some way to mitigate or account for it?

Back