diy solar

diy solar

Problems with EG4 6000 Battery settings

furkidmom

Just wondering if anyone has their EG4 6000 low voltage cutoff working? We have the EG4 6000 inverter and two of the EG4-LL 48V 100AH batteries in parallel. The problem we are having is the low voltage cutoff cannot be set above 48V, and at 48V the batteries are well below the 20% threshold that they recommend. I just did the latest firmware update, which did change the reading for setting 19, low voltage cutoff, to Percentage instead of volts so long as battery type, setting 14 is set to EG4. I can change setting 19 to 5,10,15, or 20%, but it won't hold the new setting. It reverts back to 0% when I exit the settings function. So now, with battery type set to EG4, my low voltage cutoff is 0%. We have been working with Ryan at Signature Solar, and he has been great, but the bottom line is that this has been going on for months now and it still isn't resolved. Are others just living with this problem, or is it a problem with our inverter and we need to push now for an RMA and get a replacement or is there some other setting or something that we are missing? Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer. PS, I should add that this is an off grid installation. I see some post mentioning settings related to back to battery/back to grid. In our case these are not set since there is no grid power.

Last edited:
Ditch coms, change battery type to user and program your values...
Search around for TP6048 and LVX6048 and you'll find all the info you need...

I recently posted some here...

Ditch coms, change battery type to user and program your values...
Search around for TP6048 and LVX6048 and you'll find all the info you need...

I recently posted some here...
I take a look at this... and I'm continuing to search, but when I set it to User, I can't set the low voltage cutoff above 48V. And, at 48V, these batteries are dead. Right now, the batteries show 22% and 51.35 volts. If I want to keep the batteries above the recommended 20%, I need to be able to set the low voltage cutoff to around 51V... and I can't do that, 48V is the highest it will go.

I take a look at this... and I'm continuing to search, but when I set it to User, I can't set the low voltage cutoff above 48V. And, at 48V, these batteries are dead. Right now, the batteries show 22% and 51.35 volts. If I want to keep the batteries above the recommended 20%, I need to be able to set the low voltage cutoff to around 51V... and I can't do that, 48V is the highest it will go.
Well that's dumb. Why wouldn't you be able to set low voltage cutoff higher? This would give you a nice reserve cushion if you needed "emergency power".
Maybe coms would be a better option in this scenario, if you can get them working correctly. I wonder is SS can update this with a firmware update.

@SignatureSolarJames
@signaturesolarHelpUs
Maybe @FilterGuy could offer some more insight here?

Just wondering if anyone has their EG4 6000 low voltage cutoff working? We have the EG4 6000 inverter and two of the EG4-LL 48V 100AH batteries in parallel. The problem we are having is the low voltage cutoff cannot be set above 48V, and at 48V the batteries are well below the 20% threshold that they recommend. I just did the latest firmware update, which did change the reading for setting 19, low voltage cutoff, to Percentage instead of volts so long as battery type, setting 14 is set to EG4. I can change setting 19 to 5,10,15, or 20%, but it won't hold the new setting. It reverts back to 0% when I exit the settings function. So now, with battery type set to EG4, my low voltage cutoff is 0%. We have been working with Ryan at Signature Solar, and he has been great, but the bottom line is that this has been going on for months now and it still isn't resolved. Are others just living with this problem, or is it a problem with our inverter and we need to push now for an RMA and get a replacement or is there some other setting or something that we are missing? Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer. PS, I should add that this is an off grid installation. I see some post mentioning settings related to back to battery/back to grid. In our case these are not set since there is no grid power.
What firmware number are you on?

I recently update to latest firmware from 63.05 to 63.11 and have never seen percentages for settings 19, 20, or 21 with EG4 Battery comm.

With 63.11 the Battery Cutoff Voltage (setting 19) is fixed at 42V which is terribly low. Yes, Setting 20 won’t help either since you’re off grid.

Hopefully they can address this as well as other 6000ex issues with next firmware.

Solar Assistant has a Battery Shutdown Protection Setting. That may be your best option.

Last edited:
Hello @furkidmom Allow me to clarify the matter at hand. In user mode, the permissible range for the low DC cutoff is between 40.8V and 48.0V. That being said, while you are communicating 20% should be sticking... If you would message me with your email I can have a technician call you tomorrow whenever works best for you so that we can get this figured out ASAP. In the interim, I would like to offer a suggestion. When communicating in EG4 mode, adjusting setting 19 to 20%, while the 20% value is flashing, I would recommend to press and hold the enter button for approximately 2 seconds. Following this, instead of navigating back to the main screen, I would recommended that while setting 19 is flashing, to navigate up to setting 20 and then immediately back down to setting 19. This approach will help verify if the 20% value remains in place.

Hello @furkidmom Allow me to clarify the matter at hand. In user mode, the permissible range for the low DC cutoff is between 40.8V and 48.0V. That being said, while you are communicating 20% should be sticking... If you would message me with your email I can have a technician call you tomorrow whenever works best for you so that we can get this figured out ASAP. In the interim, I would like to offer a suggestion. When communicating in EG4 mode, adjusting setting 19 to 20%, while the 20% value is flashing, I would recommend to press and hold the enter button for approximately 2 seconds. Following this, instead of navigating back to the main screen, I would recommended that while setting 19 is flashing, to navigate up to setting 20 and then immediately back down to setting 19. This approach will help verify if the 20% value remains in place.
This doesn’t work.
I just tried it and Setting 19 is fixed at 42V when using EG4 battery setting and communication.

This doesn’t work.
I just tried it and Setting 19 is fixed at 42V when using EG4 battery setting and communication.
Hello! My suggestion would be to upgrading to the newest firmware. The newest firmware is 63.22. This should address this issue, along with turning the voltage to a percentage. If this does not work then please message me with your email and I can have a tech reach out to you tomorrow!

Hello! My suggestion would be to upgrading to the newest firmware. The newest firmware is 63.22. This should address this issue, along with turning the voltage to a percentage. If this does not work then please message me with your email and I can have a tech reach out to you tomorrow!
well, I was about to say that I already did that.. which I did today... but I just checked, and it is showing version 63-14 I think it was, it wasn't 63-22. I downloaded the file from the EG4 site today, the upgrade went fine, and said it was successful, and setting 19 changed to %, so I thought it had taken. Let me try this again... the file name doesn't contain a version number, so there is no way of knowing until I run it...

What firmware number are you on?

I recently update to latest firmware from 63.05 to 63.11 and have never seen percentages for settings 19, 20, or 21 with EG4 Battery comm.

With 63.11 the Battery Cutoff Voltage (setting 19) is fixed at 42V which is terribly low. Yes, Setting 20 won’t help either since you’re off grid.

Hopefully they can address this as well as other 6000ex issues with next firmware.

Solar Assistant has a Battery Shutdown Protection Setting. That may be your best option.
Problem is getting a raspberry pi now is impossible. I've been looking, there is a full kit on craigslist near me, but they are asking full retail for a product w/o warranty... but I digress... SolarAssistant is on my list, I might have to pull my Pi from my HomeAssistant setup...

This doesn’t work.
Yup, I had tried this already. I can go from 19 to 20, and back to 19 and it still shows the newly entered value, but when I exit out of settings and go back in, it has reverted back to 0%. Good suggestion though...

Yup, I had tried this already. I can go from 19 to 20, and back to 19 and it still shows the newly entered value, but when I exit out of settings and go back in, it has reverted back to 0%. Good suggestion though...
I know you had stated that you had been working with Ryan, I will get with him tomorrow and make sure that this gets addressed asap. Would you mind messaging me your email address?

Travis.....can you see if Nicholas is still alive? Haven't heard from him in a while......

Can you provide us with a change log for all firmware updates?

Get rid of EG4 setting and go to USE.......that is the only way I have been able to keep my system running. It charges to float of 54, back to grid at 51, back to battery at 53. Seems to work great, except for the random shut downs about once a week or sometimes every two weeks. USE is the way to go.

Get rid of EG4 setting and go to USE.......that is the only way I have been able to keep my system running. It charges to float of 54, back to grid at 51, back to battery at 53. Seems to work great, except for the random shut downs about once a week or sometimes every two weeks. USE is the way to go.
Thanks for the feedback, do the back to grid and back to batteries settings work if you are not on the grid?

Problem is getting a raspberry pi now is impossible. I've been looking, there is a full kit on craigslist near me, but they are asking full retail for a product w/o warranty... but I digress... SolarAssistant is on my list, I might have to pull my Pi from my HomeAssistant setup...
This is what I bought and it’s been working great.

Orange Pi 3 LTS

OK, I got it flashed to 22 successfully. Seems that with 14 set to EG4, I can't change any of the battery settings including 20 and 21. With setting 14 on Use, I still can't put the low voltage cutoff above 48, but I was able to change settings 20 and 21. My question is whether these "back to grid", "back to battery" settings have any affect if you don't have any grid input? The manual suggest that they only apply if Grid power is present.

OK, I got it flashed to 22 successfully. Seems that with 14 set to EG4, I can't change any of the battery settings including 20 and 21. With setting 14 on Use, I still can't put the low voltage cutoff above 48, but I was able to change settings 20 and 21. My question is whether these "back to grid", "back to battery" settings have any affect if you don't have any grid input? The manual suggest that they only apply if Grid power is present.
I doubt it will work since SUB will look for solar, then utility, then battery. It will always just go back to battery for power source if you don’t have grid.

My question is whether these "back to grid", "back to battery" settings have any affect if you don't have any grid input?
No
Without grid available, there is nothing to switch to.

However,
It's possible that the dry contacts are controlled by these settings.

Thanks for the feedback, do the back to grid and back to batteries settings work if you are not on the grid?
I am on grid so I can't say...but if you are not.....low battery shut off is probably going to be your best bet. Generator to get you back up to charge? Sorry, I can't help anymore.

One of your other settings like 13 or something is stopping you from changing that value. You can’t be higher then one of those

To your original post, I just had the same problem. No percentage, just voltage.
I did what everyone suggests, and set to "USE".
I didn't like the non-changeable EG4 specs.

diy solar

diy solar
Back