diy solar

diy solar

product idea: task specific vehicle

John Frum

Tell me your problems
Imagine an electric ATV=all terrain vehicle(think quad runner) that is also a welder.
The heart of the vehicle is an LFP battery.

Some of the primary markets for the product are farming, mining and petroleum discovery/production.

Scenario:
Its harvest time and you break the mega combine in the middle of the mega field.
You can't even get it back to the implement shed/shop without at least a couple of tack welds.
Time is money so you call the mobile welder to come to you.

Does this sound useful?
Does something like this already exist?
Does a better solution already exist?

Could also be done as task specific trailers for an ATV.

Most electric ATV UTV have around 35-50 miles range - the question is - will that be enough? How much power does welding take?

Around here I see generator welders strapped into the back of pickups. Where can you get with a ATV where a small Pickup can't go?

When farm equipment can get there - a Pickup with the conventional setup can get there.
Putting a ATV on a trailer or Pickup takes a lot of time and effort.

You competition will be electric Pickups with onboard power like the F150 lightning - you got 9.6KW of 240v in that thing. Where you can just plugin a regular grid tied welder

Most electric ATV UTV have around 35-50 miles range - the question is - will that be enough? How much power does welding take?

Around here I see generator welders strapped into the back of pickups. Where can you get with a ATV where a small Pickup can't go?

When farm equipment can get there - a Pickup with the conventional setup can get there.
Putting a ATV on a trailer or Pickup takes a lot of time and effort.

You competition will be electric Pickups with onboard power like the F150 lightning - you got 9.6KW of 240v in that thing. Where you can just plugin a regular grid tied welder
I think the electric pickup will win as long as it can get to combine.
Probably going to want a bunch of tools to go along with the welder anyways.

I think the electric pickup will win as long as it can get to combine.
you need to define your usecase better.

What are you going to weld? Usually what needs to be welded in the field are huge items.
There might be the on-off cell phone tower on a mountain top where you only have small access road.
But there you might carry a battery powered Welder. (google "cordless welder")

With any business idea in technology: is it better to integrate? Or are interchangeable modules better?

The nice thing about a battery powered welder - you already got DC in any vehicle. But that should be close to the voltage you are actually welding with.

that's probably the big question, welding is just the final step of preparing the welding site, you need adjust, clean, clamp and potentially paint after.

Back