diy solar

diy solar

Pudgy solar dinghy

IGBT

Solar Enthusiast
Pudgy solar...hmm...
I was moving around some stuff in the pole barn and saw some new Renogy 100 watt solar panels we had from another project a couple years back that never were used. I stacked one on our Portland Pudgy then another and another until four of them seemed to fit almost perfectly.
Hello? What about having some little quick connect to fasten those down to the Pudgy and then feed that power back to our M17 while we are towing the Pudgy? These panels are about 15 pounds each, aluminum frame glass, pretty standard I guess, 3 years old but still new in box. I have 12 of them so it would be a fun test at least.
We still plan on 600 watts of flexibile CIGS solar on the boom tent, but this would give another 400 watts and perhaps a bit higher output per panel watt since there would be lower shading (if the Pudgy is being towed well behind the M17).
I could feed the power forward at 20V, 20 amps, 40V 10 amps or 80V 5 amps. (4p, 2s2p, 4s). I was thinking I could use a 12 gauge outdoor power cord, one of the more rugged ones, and cut the ends off. A safety idea I had was to make use of the three conductors in that wire (hot, neutral, ground) and implement a small relay at the panels in the pudgy, rigged in a way that 12V power applied over the third conductor would activate the relay and allow the solar panel power to flow over the other 2 conductors (20V, 40V or 80V). In this manner, any break in the cable would cause the relay to open, disconnecting the solar array from the wiring. Just an idea.
We might do a test of this next week, after the 107 degree Sunday.

pudgysolar.jpg

Looks like a fun project if it doesn't bounce around enough to crack the panels.
Thanks. The plan was to add some stainless eye hooks to the panel edges after hinging each two panels to each other (I have some of these 6 inch aluminum piano hinges from some other project which are perfect). This will create two hinged double panels which we would then use the eye hooks to lash down to the gunwale on the dinghy (it has some various attachment points).

My aim is to use this on the high power demand river system, especially when fighting current with our 6kW electric motor (not run at full power though). Should not be as much bouncing as a big lake or ocean, except when the half mile long barges go by on the Mississippi.

Thanks. The plan was to add some stainless eye hooks to the panel edges after hinging each two panels to each other (I have some of these 6 inch aluminum piano hinges from some other project which are perfect). This will create two hinged double panels which we would then use the eye hooks to lash down to the gunwale on the dinghy (it has some various attachment points).

My aim is to use this on the high power demand river system, especially when fighting current with our 6kW electric motor (not run at full power though). Should not be as much bouncing as a big lake or ocean, except when the half mile long barges go by on the Mississippi.
Can't wait for pictures!

diy solar

diy solar
Back