diy solar

diy solar

Sticking a relay between solar panel & charge controller

I guess I am trying to demonstrate that, to my surprise, this concept does not seem exist in DC (or PV source specific) products. I am surprised by that and just assume I am somehow overlooking the obvious. But I keep not finding "the obvious"!
After days of searching ... it may exist: Is this it?

10 AMP limit on the manual switch? Low.
Costs more than I would have expected.
Use case does not match mine but seems to offer what I am looking for (PV DC A-OFF-B manual switching) with native MC4 connectors to boot.
A little unclear if it has an actual OFF position.

I am going to contact them.

EDIT: That website also has what may be the most effective ChatGPT help bot I have yet to encounter.

My Q:
"Can the "Solar Hybrid Switch - on and off grid switch for any solar panel, made in USA" be used to divert solar panel input from a stand alone solar charge controller to a power station with built in MPPT controller?"

The ChatGPT A:
"Yes, the "Solar Hybrid Switch - on and off grid switch for any solar panel, made in USA" can be used to divert solar panel input from a standalone solar charge controller to a power station with a built-in MPPT controller. This switch is designed to provide flexibility in managing your solar power setup, allowing you to switch between different configurations without the need for complex rewiring.

Here’s how you can use it:

1. Connect the Solar Panels: Plug your solar panels into the input of the Solar Hybrid Switch.
  2. Connect the Standalone Solar Charge Controller: Connect one output of the Solar Hybrid Switch to your standalone solar charge controller.
  3. Connect the Power Station: Connect the other output of the Solar Hybrid Switch to your power station with the built-in MPPT controller.
  4. Switching: Use the switch to divert the solar panel input between the standalone solar charge controller and the power station as needed.
This setup allows you to easily manage where the solar power is directed, optimizing the use of your solar energy based on your current needs.

If you need any further assistance with the setup or have additional questions, feel free to ask! We're here to help you make the most of your solar power system."

Last edited:
After days of searching ... it may exist: Is this it?

10 AMP limit on the manual switch? Low.
Costs more than I would have expected.
Use case does not match mine but seems to offer what I am looking for (PV DC A-OFF-B manual switching) with native MC4 connectors to boot.
A little unclear if it has an actual OFF position.

I am going to contact them.

EDIT: That website also has what may be the most effective ChatGPT help bot I have yet to encounter.

My Q:
"Can the "Solar Hybrid Switch - on and off grid switch for any solar panel, made in USA" be used to divert solar panel input from a stand alone solar charge controller to a power station with built in MPPT controller?"

The ChatGPT A:
"Yes, the "Solar Hybrid Switch - on and off grid switch for any solar panel, made in USA" can be used to divert solar panel input from a standalone solar charge controller to a power station with a built-in MPPT controller. This switch is designed to provide flexibility in managing your solar power setup, allowing you to switch between different configurations without the need for complex rewiring.

Here’s how you can use it:

1. Connect the Solar Panels: Plug your solar panels into the input of the Solar Hybrid Switch.
  2. Connect the Standalone Solar Charge Controller: Connect one output of the Solar Hybrid Switch to your standalone solar charge controller.
  3. Connect the Power Station: Connect the other output of the Solar Hybrid Switch to your power station with the built-in MPPT controller.
  4. Switching: Use the switch to divert the solar panel input between the standalone solar charge controller and the power station as needed.
This setup allows you to easily manage where the solar power is directed, optimizing the use of your solar energy based on your current needs.

If you need any further assistance with the setup or have additional questions, feel free to ask! We're here to help you make the most of your solar power system."

You can get 50A switching, if you opt for the "with Relay" option.

For over two hundred bucks.

diy solar

diy solar
Back