diy solar

diy solar

Pulsed charging enhances the service life of lithium-ion batteries.

fromport

Solar Addict
“Lithium-ion batteries are powerful, and they are used everywhere, from electric vehicles to electronic devices. However, their capacity gradually decreases over the course of hundreds of charging cycles. The best commercial lithium-ion batteries with electrodes made of so-called NMC532 and graphite have a service life of up to eight years. Batteries are usually charged with a constant current flow. But is this really the most favourable method? A new study by Prof Philipp Adelhelm’s group at Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin and Humboldt-University Berlin answers this question clearly with no.”

Film at 11. Pulsed charging has been around forever. Things have changed but most early battery chargers did not used to have any output filtering, generally straight from the transformer to a diode bridge to the output, maybe a current limiting resistor or IC or something, DC with full ripple output. I remember reading in some of the early electronics rags, some batteries would allow a higher charge rate with pulsed charging spiking the voltage above norms, and spiked pulse battery conditioners were around that would supposedly "resurrect" completely depleted batteries.

Article is a bit light on the details, I wonder how high "high-frequency" is. "Show me the money"

Article is a bit light on the details, I wonder how high "high-frequency" is. "Show me the money"
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/aenm.202400190 has more info and link to the study itself (14 pages) .
Reading it now.

the NMC532/graphite battery chargedat constant current retained only 37.8% of its initial capacity after1000 cycles, and stopped service (i.e., 80% SoH) after only 500 cycles. In sharp contrast, the batteries charged with pulsed currentexhibit much enhanced cycling performance over cycling. In particular, at a pulsed current with a frequency of 100 Hz (denotedas Pulse-100), the battery’s capacity retention rate reaches 66.48%after 1000 cycles with a cycle life of >700 cycles. And, at a 2000 Hzpulsed current (denoted as Pulse-2000), the capacity retentionrate of the battery is as high as 81.73% in 1000 cycles, i.e., more than twice the cycle life compared to that at CC charging
Screenshot from 2024-04-21 21-01-51.png

Almost no one uses NMC532 any more. The industry transitioned to 811 years ago.

The battery lifetime was extended by 72.8% using a0.05 Hz frequency and by 105.5% using a 2 kHz frequency [6]. Similarly, Amanor-Boaduet al. [26] and Lv et al. [28] found possitive effects on battery cycle life using frequenciesin the 10 kHz range and in the 0.01-0.1 Hz range, respectively.
Yeah despite referring to high frequency, the effect is found around a broad frequency range.

When I view the raw amperage data from my battery's hall effect sensor, you can actually see a significant erratic movement in the current around 60hz or the other frequencies that the inverter is operating on.

By simultaneously discharging with an AC inverter while charging, we may already be unintentionally pulse charging and gaining these benefits.

Back