diy solar

diy solar

PV input voltage drops / charge controller cycles

jnaumann

Hi,

I have a sungoldpower 5048W all in one charge controller/.inverter. Everything seems to work fine until I connect PV panels. I have 6 panels in series and measure ~200V open circuit. When connected to the charge controller I can see the voltage drop as current goes up and then the charge controller disconnects and tries again a second or two later.

Battery BMS registers current into the battery. I can observe with a multimeter on both sides of the input breaker the same voltage that the charge controller reports.

It behaves as if it were a high impedance connection somewhere. I was thinking it might be a bad MC4 connector. Ive eliminated a few and replace the ones at the end of the string. I bypassed two panels at a time with a jumper to see that it was not a panel issue. The issue still remains.

Any clues or suggestions? It's hard for me to see how it could be a charge controller issue.

Based on your description it does not appear to be a SCC issue. This I base on the fact it attempts to find a power point voltage and it can not due to voltage drop. The possibilities are: Bad connection, shading of panel, bad panel or insufficient sun for production.

Back