diy solar

diy solar

PV Panel Comparison from YT

BentleyJ

Solar Wizard
This YT video is about 6 months old. May have been posted previously but I just watched it, apologies if its redundant. Thought it was well done especially the comparison of STC efficiency vs. NMOT values vs. sq ft of panel area. Also the discussion of temp coefficient and lifetime degradation are important.
Too often us DIY'ers shop/buy on price alone and don't completely analyze the "value" proposition well enough.

Julian also does consulting and system design. Quite often I see posts here asking for such services.

Disclaimer: Other than also living in So. Cal., I'm not affiliated with Julian or his YouTube channel and have never talked to or met him.

Too often us DIY'ers shop/buy on price alone and don't completely analyze the "value" proposition well enough.
I acknowledge those exist. In practice?

I’m just happy when my stuff works as expected and haven’t minded an extra panel or two to compensate for lower outputs, inefficiency, or whatever when buying the lower shelf panels.

Solar panel manufacturing is a fairly mature industry; virtually any panel that’s been ‘out there’ a while as a staple/commodity is at a high risk of performing well and experiencing a reasonably long lifespan.

Neither the WindyNation nor the Rich Solar 100W panels have disappointed me, and with limited time experience the REC Solar panels appear to be great as well.

Getting that last Wh of sun or worrying about 10W variances in efficiency seem like ethereal goals where one could spend a lot of time and/or money mitigating to fruition; for me a coupla extry panels is a low-cost alternative to better equipment or the hours of contemplating to gain 5W.

Back