diy solar

diy solar

PWM with settings only for SEALED/GEL/WET: possible to use with lithium?

CindySweden

Hi guys,
Thanks a lot for a amazing forum, Im learning a lot. Im very new to this and consider my skills being very basic.
I have a 4s 12v 100Ah LiFepo4 battery and just orded a Overkill solar BMS.
I have a solar panel that came with a PWM that only got settings for sealed/gel/wet (see chart below). Is any setting ok to use with my lithium battery? I understad that it might not be optimal charging, but will it hurt my battery with any of these settings or will my BMS protect the battery? If its not hurting the battery or causing any trouble besides no optimal charging, which setting should I use?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers for a snowy Sweden!

Attachments

• pwm.jpg
    pwm.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 17
Normally, Sealed or Gel would work typically fine, but the float at 13.8V is higher than the recommended 13.6V.

If this is something you plan to use daily that will get cycled, I don't see a big problem. I would choose the Gel setting for the lower 14.2V charge voltage as the battery will still charge at 13.8V until full.

If this is something for occasional use, I would not leave it floated for more than a single day.

Given that this is a PWM charger, replacing it should be very cheap, and you can likely find an alternative with a float of 13.6V.

Normally, Sealed or Gel would work typically fine, but the float at 13.8V is higher than the recommended 13.6V.

If this is something you plan to use daily that will get cycled, I don't see a big problem. I would choose the Gel setting for the lower 14.2V charge voltage as the battery will still charge at 13.8V until full.

If this is something for occasional use, I would not leave it floated for more than a single day.

Given that this is a PWM charger, replacing it should be very cheap, and you can likely find an alternative with a float of 13.6V.
Aah, I see.
I plan to use the van (and the electricity) on weekends for small trips and occasionally for a week on the summers.

If I go for the PWM I got already, what about setting it with the Gel option and then, on the weekdays (when the van is not in use), just "unplug" the solar somehow? Just a thought... Would be nice to use what I already got.

Graceful for the respond, thanks.

As long as there are no loads that might drain the battery during that time, that should be fine.

How many watts is that said panel?
Is it enough to charge what you use out of your 100Ah battery?
Do you have another charging method?
Hi guys,
Thanks a lot for a amazing forum, Im learning a lot. Im very new to this and consider my skills being very basic.
I have a 4s 12v 100Ah LiFepo4 battery and just orded a Overkill solar BMS.
I have a solar panel that came with a PWM that only got settings for sealed/gel/wet (see chart below). Is any setting ok to use with my lithium battery? I understad that it might not be optimal charging, but will it hurt my battery with any of these settings or will my BMS protect the battery? If its not hurting the battery or causing any trouble besides no optimal charging, which setting should I use?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers for a snowy Sweden!

How many watts is that said panel?
Is it enough to charge what you use out of your 100Ah battery?
Do you have another charging method?
The solar panel is only 110 watt but I will probably use both charging with the cars alternator and shore power!

As long as there are no loads that might drain the battery during that time, that should be fine.
No, nothing will drain the battery when the van is not in use. So no need for unplugging then, if I understand you correct? The bms should protect the battery from overcharging etc

Back