diy solar

diy solar

Question on brands for 200-300W panels

Mirlen

Newbie here, picked up an Eco-Worthy 200W 2x100W set paired with a 50Ah LiFePo4 to learn on, quickly swapped out the PWM charge controller to Victron 100/30 and craving more power to play with. Panels will be pulled out and setup manually, not likely to be used when weather sucks so mostly 3 season manual deployment.

Thoughts on the various brands? I know Eco-Worthy seems to be on the low end but the price was right and easy to get me started. Am looking swapping out the 2x100W to 2 200W panels to get a bit more power but was also looking at things like the 320W Renogy, 250W Rich Solar and the JJT 200W Bifacials. I'd likely run these in series and possibly look at adding 2 more of the chosen panels later in 2S1P if I make the bump up to 24v...but that's down the road...

I haven't found a lot of good info/reviews on the 320W Renogy, 250W Rich Solar or the JJT 200W Bifacials. With Bifacials not being tariffed I figured they might be a better bargain in some circumstances. Thoughts on these?

Plan down the road is to get a 24v 100-200Ah and a larger pure sinewave inverter to match with it and have the PWM, 100W/12v items for easy mobile use.

Any other known brands/models in this size that have a good reputation would be appreciated, having watched all the battery teardowns it's quite depressing not knowing what you'll get and even sourcing your own cells is like walking thru a minefield...*sigh*

I’d skip renogy altogether

Rich Solar, windyNation, and ‘grape’ seem to have generated positive feedback

other known brands/models in this size that have a good reputation would be appreciated,
The thing with solar panels is that it’s a mature industry. So any ‘brand’ that is reviewed well is gonna do well. Renogy has a bad reputation for CS so I’ve avoided them- especially since the MC4 connectors I got from them did not provide adequate ip66 and terminals rusted inside.
having watched all the battery teardowns it's quite depressing not knowing what you'll get and even sourcing your own cells is like walking thru a minefield...*sigh*
Solar panels are a commodity item now. Just don’t pick ‘cheap’ on cheap alone, and don’t buy from bad CS sources.

You want residential/solar farm frame panels , forget all the DIY brand names

Other than that there isn't much difference between all the different manufacturers of panel , they've all got 15/25yr warranties

It's all about price per watt

You want residential/solar farm frame panels , forget all the DIY brand names

Other than that there isn't much difference between all the different manufacturers of panel , they've all got 15/25yr warranties

It's all about price per watt

Well I don't need 10 though :) Wanna come pick up 6?

It'll do !

Not a bad price , but look for bigger panels is possible, 300-500w , they are normally cheaper per watt

Yes but for where I intend to put these >200W panels (2) starts to become too large. I'm looking at hanging them on a fence that faces true south in the back yard and has a walkway next to it that larger panels would likely be too intruding to be wife approved...although I keep pondering 2 400W panels but 40" wide at a ~30-40 degree tilt would stick out about 30", and I'd only be able to hang one of them in that space anyway sooo...

A trellis walkthrough with roses and ivy on one side would fit two 300W…?

Back