diy solar

diy solar

Question on Small DIY Emergency Backup System

cphippen85

Hi everyone, I'm brand new here so apologies if this has already been asked or is in the wrong section. Fwiw, i did try the search function.

I'm very new to solar in general, I have only one success that is a small off grid system for a shipping container I use frequently. But this question is about something I've been thinking of throwing together. I have a leftover panel from our business (435W, 72.9V, 5.97A) and I'd like to turn it into a kind of emergency backup system I can wheel out if we have a week long (or more) power outage. Bear in mind this would be just to keep a few essentials running like fridge, chest freezer, and charge some phones, headlamps, etc. My thought is to make a cheap version of something like the ecoflow Delta pro type products where I have a couple (few?) batteries and an inverter strapped to a dolly or something, I can wheel it out, plug in the panel, charge controller, and a couple essentials, and be a hero because the taquitos don't go bad. Of course if this doesn't work or the weather is bad, outage extended, whatever, I have a couple gas generators I can use to supplement or replace.

Finally arriving at my main question: what considerations, if any, do I need to have due to the higher than normal voltage of the panel? Are 12v batteries still ok? Standard 12v inverters still ok?

And lastly is there anything else I'm missing or is this just a bad idea in general?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Pretty common thing.

Has several templates you could easily adapt to a dolly.

A couple examples:

Search youtube for examples.

Any 100V, 40A MPPT should be fine for that panel. Victron 100/50 would be luscious.
Thank you, that's great info, I'll look up that victron. That was really my main concern is the voltage of my surplus panel. Between the Internet and a local dealer, I've received conflicting answers to that question, which is what led me here.

Thank you, that's great info, I'll look up that victron. That was really my main concern is the voltage of my surplus panel. Between the Internet and a local dealer, I've received conflicting answers to that question, which is what led me here.

Victron used to be at a notable premium over Renogy, Epever, etc., but they recently reduced prices, and are typically within 10-20% when looking at amazon. Totally worth it.

Another question has come up: to fully mimic the functionality of ecoflow type devices, I'd like to be able to plug into a wall outlet to keep the battery topped up when it's stored. The charge controllers I've seen only accept charge from solar panels. Are there any that can do this, or is it better for the battery to just let it sit in storage with no power input?

Another question has come up: to fully mimic the functionality of ecoflow type devices, I'd like to be able to plug into a wall outlet to keep the battery topped up when it's stored. The charge controllers I've seen only accept charge from solar panels. Are there any that can do this, or is it better for the battery to just let it sit in storage with no power input?
The solar panels put out DC. The Victron solar input expects DC.
So just provide a DC source of the appropriate voltage and connect it to the solar input.

One local ham radio club has a battery backed up radio repeater system - a fully 12 volt system
connected to a 12 volt 100ah AGM battery. The charging system is a a solar charge
controller (sorry, don't know what brand or model) with a 28 volt power supply (an Astron
LS-25A) connected to the solar panel input.

Super simple build would be an MPP 1012-LV and a nice hefty 12v battery. The panel will plug right in, the AC in will charge from the wall, and it gives you a decent amount of power (1000w) which will run quite a few things short of a heater. They're small so easy to make a portable in a rolling tote or tool box or the like.

Back