diy solar

diy solar

Questions on Installing Panels on a Stationary RV without 12 volt Battery Power

MichelleC

Hello All!
I first have to tell you that I know nothing about solar energy. After this past summer however, I am willing to learn! Let me explain my situation a little.
I have a 34' 5th wheel that has been gutted and made into a studio and it will never move from the spot it's in now until it gets hauled to the dump some day. It is hooked up to my house electric panel and the 12 volt system has been basically taken out.
This may have caused a host of problems, such as I can't regulate the temperature because I can't use the rooftop AC unit that has the nice duct work and all, so I have run 2 portable AC units all summer at about a $400.00 bill a month (that's between my house AC and the studio AC). I know most of that is from the portables because before I ran them my bill in the summer was a little over $100. a month (small house).

So, my question is, knowing nothing about solar, is it possible to install solar on the roof of the studio (RV) and run it off the house electricity? I'm not sure I'm even asking the right question! Hopefully I have given you enough information to know what I'm trying to ask!
Thank you all in advance!
Michelle

Are you trying to power the rooftop ac? Or are you wanting to backfeed solar to the grid to lower your bill?

Yes it is possible, but will be pricey and take many years to recoup the savings in electricity.

First off you can easily get an 120v to 12v power adapter to run everything 12v off your house power. A rooftop AC only uses 12v for the thermostat and control board so if just that then a simple wall wart adapter will work.

Removing the 12V battery should not have knocked out the 120 volt system that powers the roof AC units. It's more likely that when pulling out the batteries, some of the wiring was removed or disturbed OR the thermostat power was lost and now the units don't get a signal to turn on from the unpowered thermostat.
Are the wall outlets working correctly?

Even if you get the overhead HVAC units working, they are not very efficient, but should be better than the portable AC units.
The portable AC units are really "spot coolers" and are power hogs as you've learned.

Depending on your window openings, you could go with the Midea "U" window units, they are very efficient and get very good reviews. Since it's the end of the season, they are probably on sale too. https://www.midea.com/us/air-conditioners/window-air-conditioners
Unfortunately, these U units do not have heating options, so keep that in mind.

A cheap mini split system would take care of both heating and cooling, using far less electricity than the rooftop units or spot coolers you have today. More work for installation than a window unit, but could be completely installed in less than a day. The cheap versions start at $600 and up, so a bit more than a window unit but you get heating too.
Make sure you check the voltage requirements when shopping, you probably want to stay with a 120v unit so you don't need to upgrade your electrical.
Home Depot probably isn't where you need to buy one, but they make it easy to look at your options. https://www.homedepot.com/s/mini-split?NCNI-5

Why haven't I mentioned solar yet?
Because the first step is solar is to cut consumption and make efficient choices so you can lower the amount of solar needed. You'd need a much larger solar system to run those rooftop units or the spot coolers than a regular mini-split style unit.

If you really want to go solar, then look at solar all in one mini-splits, like this one from Signature Solar.

It will run off the house current you have today, and let you add solar panels to take advantage of solar power when it's available. It's got the solar panel converters built in, so you can "plug n play" the panels when you are ready, without having to buy and wire up additional equipment.

Hope that helps get you pointed in the right direction!

And if you decide to keep using portable units, make sure you at least use TWO HOSE Models...
Single hose models DO NOT condition the space...
They blow cooled air at the spot they sit in... while PUMPING OUT the air in the room, which sucks in outside air constantly...

Removing the 12V battery should not have knocked out the 120 volt system that powers the roof AC units. It's more likely that when pulling out the batteries, some of the wiring was removed or disturbed OR the thermostat power was lost and now the units don't get a signal to turn on from the unpowered thermostat.
Are the wall outlets working correctly?

Even if you get the overhead HVAC units working, they are not very efficient, but should be better than the portable AC units.
The portable AC units are really "spot coolers" and are power hogs as you've learned.

Depending on your window openings, you could go with the Midea "U" window units, they are very efficient and get very good reviews. Since it's the end of the season, they are probably on sale too. https://www.midea.com/us/air-conditioners/window-air-conditioners
Unfortunately, these U units do not have heating options, so keep that in mind.

A cheap mini split system would take care of both heating and cooling, using far less electricity than the rooftop units or spot coolers you have today. More work for installation than a window unit, but could be completely installed in less than a day. The cheap versions start at $600 and up, so a bit more than a window unit but you get heating too.
Make sure you check the voltage requirements when shopping, you probably want to stay with a 120v unit so you don't need to upgrade your electrical.
Home Depot probably isn't where you need to buy one, but they make it easy to look at your options. https://www.homedepot.com/s/mini-split?NCNI-5

Why haven't I mentioned solar yet?
Because the first step is solar is to cut consumption and make efficient choices so you can lower the amount of solar needed. You'd need a much larger solar system to run those rooftop units or the spot coolers than a regular mini-split style unit.

If you really want to go solar, then look at solar all in one mini-splits, like this one from Signature Solar.

It will run off the house current you have today, and let you add solar panels to take advantage of solar power when it's available. It's got the solar panel converters built in, so you can "plug n play" the panels when you are ready, without having to buy and wire up additional equipment.

Hope that helps get you pointed in the right direction!
Wow! Thank you for that informative response! I think you got all of the important details from my post. while I probably could use the 12 volt system again there is literally nothing except the thermostat left in there that would use it. EVERYTHING was taken out and rebuilt. I will come back and add some pictures so you get a visual.
I have to really read your answer a few more times to flesh it out, as again I know next to nothing about this stuff, which doesn't help. I wish you were my neighbor! Unfortunately part of the trouble I have had is finding trustworthy people to hire to work on these issues. I ended up with a new roof top AC that just sits there, and a lot of other people who come scratch their heads and then put their hand out.
The biggest lesson I've learned is that an RV was definitely not the right choice to make into a studio. It's not meant to be a house type building. But, I've got so much money in this thing I have no where to go but forward.
If it's ok with you, Can I keep coming back with questions? I really appreciate your answers and sharing your knowledge. I will begin researching and reading...

And if you decide to keep using portable units, make sure you at least use TWO HOSE Models...
Single hose models DO NOT condition the space...
They blow cooled air at the spot they sit in... while PUMPING OUT the air in the room, which sucks in outside air constantly...
They are boh two hose models.

Back