diy solar

diy solar

Quick release pins for tilt mounts?

Geebert

Hi, I have Renogy solar panels on Renogy tilts mounts on top of my RV. The panels are secured using knob screws, butterfly nuts and lock washers, which is very secure. But the screws can take a while to unscrew in order to tilt the panels up. I’m wondering if anyone has tried some type of quick release pins as an alternative to the screws? Maybe something with a spring on the screw for compression? Obviously safety comes first, just wondering if anyone has another solution for holding these down and make it quicker to unlock these once parked. I was thinking maybe hitch pins, but that would allow for play so I don’t think that would work. Thanks

Hi, I have Renogy solar panels on Renogy tilts mounts on top of my RV. The panels are secured using knob screws, butterfly nuts and lock washers, which is very secure. But the screws can take a while to unscrew in order to tilt the panels up. I’m wondering if anyone has tried some type of quick release pins as an alternative to the screws? Maybe something with a spring on the screw for compression? Obviously safety comes first, just wondering if anyone has another solution for holding these down and make it quicker to unlock these once parked. I was thinking maybe hitch pins, but that would allow for play so I don’t think that would work. Thanks
Welcome to forum, some random ideas.

Maybe Add a bushing on the pin to make it tighter / take out the play?
Use coarse thread hardware?
Drill a hole in a pin to keep a washer and cotter pin tight?

Tractor hitch equipment pins, t handle with a locking keeper ball, available in multiple shaft sizes and lengths.

Like this-https://www.grainger.com/product/410L39?gucid=N:N:pS:paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAm4WsBhCiARIsAEJIEzUjve6rRGQNxl5DS5gMXcqJv9aymz-mn_1Bdi0KjD_cIqos9tjWjQAaAp-2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or Tractor hitch pins with a cross pin, like this.

Welcome to forum, some random ideas.

Maybe Add a bushing on the pin to make it tighter / take out the play?
Use coarse thread hardware?
Drill a hole in a pin to keep a washer and cotter pin tight?
HMMMMMM…I Am Gona be needing a bunch of somthing like this, this spring / summer …

Will be following …

J.

Should be able to come with something here.

HMMMMMM…I Am Gona be needing a bunch of somthing like this, this spring / summer …

Will be following …

J.
Here's what I was initially thinking of when I couldn't remember the technical name.

Reactions: JRH
Here's what I was initially thinking of when I couldn't remember the technical name.
I handles though. Be difficult to pull out?

The hitch T handle pins I linked are the same holding concept but with a nice handle.

I handles though. Be difficult to pull out?

The hitch T handle pins I linked are the same holding concept but with a nice handle.
Thanks everyone for the quick replies! A bushing is a good idea. Also that McMaster site is deep. I spent some time on there. I’ll need to keep looking on there, but I have 4 panels with 4 connection points per panel (6 if you add the bar to tilt) so cost might be an issue. Though yes, clevis pins are basically what I was looking at before. I looked a bit more at pins on Amazon, something like this might work since it appears it has holes up to the tip. I just wonder how secure those clips are when driving, like it is possible they would shake loose? On a hitch they would be vertical, but in this case they would be horizontal.
Heavy Duty Adjustable Clevis Pin ,Fastener Tool Size 1/4 x 2inch Zinc Steel 8 Holes W/ Matching R- Clip (10) https://a.co/d/2aaGUPQ

I didn’t see anything with the same hole configuration and a pull handle as you suggested, will continue to look.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! A bushing is a good idea. Also that McMaster site is deep. I spent some time on there. I’ll need to keep looking on there, but I have 4 panels with 4 connection points per panel (6 if you add the bar to tilt) so cost might be an issue. Though yes, clevis pins are basically what I was looking at before. I looked a bit more at pins on Amazon, something like this might work since it appears it has holes up to the tip. I just wonder how secure those clips are when driving, like it is possible they would shake loose? On a hitch they would be vertical, but in this case they would be horizontal.
Heavy Duty Adjustable Clevis Pin ,Fastener Tool Size 1/4 x 2inch Zinc Steel 8 Holes W/ Matching R- Clip (10) https://a.co/d/2aaGUPQ

I didn’t see anything with the same hole configuration and a pull handle as you suggested, will continue to look.
Actually I don’t think a handle will be necessary. Once a hitch pin is removed you should just be able to push the clevis pin from the bottom end through the hole without resistance.

Last edited:

I just started thinking on this now that winter has showed me the flaws in the number and placement of my present panel set up..
J.

I just started thinking on this now that winter has showed me the flaws in the number and placement of my present panel set up..
J.
Same. I've been blown away at the output differences between my steep angled ground vs roof mounts.

Reactions: JRH
If you installed something would you actually use them? They do provide significantly more power when tilted, but mostly in the shortest days of the year with the sun low to the ground and not as much in the longer days of the year with the sun high from the horizon.

I have six of those renogy tilt mounts and it can take 30 minutes to tilt and untilt. Actually longer. Have not added the quick releases because between the time to set up and possible wind gusts, I don't use these. I ended up adding a bank of portable panels that has the tilt, but I also turn into the sun three times a day, like a manual tracking system.

I did look at T-Handle pins, but at around $15, that was more than I was willing to spend on four of them.

Last edited:

They’re not going to shake out in a horizontal orientation. They’re used in trailer hitch pins to hold the ball in the hitch sleeve almost universally on pickups SUV’s and some cars and they don’t just fall out-and there’s far more stress and vibration in that application than in a solar mount.

They’re shaped to stay in and spring loaded to help additionally.

If you got these T-Handles, you'd probably need to get 4 for each panel for when its extended and not just 2 for when its put away. On my mount, because of the curved roof, Only four holes per panel lines up. Wish I had a picture. When not extended, which is always, I store the remaining 12 screws and wing nuts in the RV.

My renogy mount, because my roof is curved the flat rails does not sit flat on the curved roof and I needed to cut each flat rail in two short sections. After cutting and mounting, the only holes that lined up were the ones with the screws inserted, the holes were slightly off.
=================
I do not reccomend the Renogy tilt mount, or any tilt mount for any RV build unless these panels are left up for weeks at a time and you're confident these will hold up to a squall to avoid it flying away like a parachute.

I consider these tilt mount for RV a gimmick that many people buy but very few use for long periods of time,
=================
They’re not going to shake out in a horizontal orientation. They’re used in trailer hitch pins to hold the ball in the hitch sleeve almost universally on pickups SUV’s and some cars and they don’t just fall out-and there’s far more stress and vibration in that application than in a solar mount.
I believe the ones you say won't shake out. I do not have confidence that some of the cheaper ones I was thinking of using would hold. I see some of the cheaper ones are pins like you would insert at a weight machine in a gym and I'm sure those would shake out.

If you installed something would you actually use them? They do provide significantly more power when tilted, but mostly in the shortest days of the year with the sun low to the ground and not as much in the longer days of the year with the sun high from the horizon.

I have six of those renogy tilt mounts and it can take 30 minutes to tilt and untilt. Actually longer. Have not added the quick releases because between the time to set up and possible wind gusts, I don't use these. I ended up adding a bank of portable panels that has the tilt, but I also turn into the sun three times a day, like a manual tracking system.

I did look at T-Handle pins, but at around $15, that was more than I was willing to spend on four of them.
Good questions. I installed them for a couple reasons. For one, I thought I might use them to harvest more energy when tilted, which they really do. I just returned from a trip where I was getting at least 1/4 more energy by tilting just 2 of the 4.

I also figured having tilt mounts would allow me easier access to the roof under the panel, for cleaning and whatnot.

But yes, titling them up and down took annoyingly long, which is why I’m here asking about this :)

Back