diy solar

diy solar

Railroad ties

G00SE

There’s two O’s in G00SE
Yesterday I was driving home from an afternoon trip with the family, exploring some natural wonders

I noticed on my drive, along the interstate is one of the BNSF railways
About every 2 miles was a mountain of used railroad ties

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas as to whom one would reach out to about acquiring them?

Y’all think that would be a state level, county legend, or railway thing?

I’d say BNSF probably has control . Best to approach crews when they are moving or installing cross ties - track maintenance to ask them. Taking the ties without railroad permissions can be considered stealing. Get a name write down date time if granted the cross ties. Rail Roads maintain right away and anyone on or near tracks are considered trespassers. When cars - trucks are hit at rail crossing than they are often termed trespasser. The locomotive, crossings, and rail yard sites often have a lot of camera installed now.

Now for the kicker: wooden cross ties are considered hazardous waste due to rot preventative treatments . They might not give them to you because of that and might indict if they disappeared then that is on you. However there were and have been cases where cross ties were taken used as flower bed - walls whatever then later removed and dumped. The railroad was called in by Govt authorities and fined for the dumped cross ties based on them being contaminated waste. Thus railroad had to remove and clean up the wooden tie dump site so sometimes they won’t give them away. Blame Cradle to Grave laws.

Thanks both!
There’s definitely local ones for sale. But free is better lol.
I definitely won’t “acquire” them without permission.

Back