diy solar

Real world wattage from panels using Enlighten app

wwwdiys

Hi All,
My system:
Enphase combiner/Enlighten App
12- 425 hanwa q cell panels L-G8.2-425
12- Enphase iq7 inverters

Question is, when I look at the Enlighten app my system on an average sunny day produces about 30kwh/day. With peak power of 4000kw, now I know a 5k system will not produce 5k peak, but 4k is 20% overall degredation. My brother installs solar and he said this is not right and his numbers are more like max 5% off of max.
Are these panels BS or is Enlighten not producing accurate numbers? What are all of you experiencing with your system s?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210813-083750.png
    Screenshot_20210813-083750.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
12- Enphase iq7 inverters
If you have seen 4kW peak output, then that's about 93% of what your system will be able to peak at. A bit of heat to lower production, imperfect insolation conditions (orientation, tilt etc) and that sounds about right.

An Enphase IQ7 has a max continuous output of 240VA (~240W). The IQ7+ are rated at 290VA and the IQ7A Micro is rated at 366VA.

If you have seen 4kW peak then you must have the IQ7A model of inverter.

No matter the rated size of your panels, you can't get more out of it than the inverter's rated output.

12 x 366VA = 4392VA, which assuming a power factor close to 1 will mean a peak output of no more than ~4300W from 12 x Enphase IQ7A inverters.

The oversizing of panels helps extract more energy in lower light conditions.

If you have seen 4kW peak output, then that's about 93% of what your system will be able to peak at. A bit of heat to lower production, imperfect insolation conditions (orientation, tilt etc) and that sounds about right.

An Enphase IQ7 has a max continuous output of 240VA (~240W). The IQ7+ are rated at 290VA and the IQ7A Micro is rated at 366VA.

If you have seen 4kW peak then you must have the IQ7A model of inverter.

No matter the rated size of your panels, you can't get more out of it than the inverter's rated output.

12 x 366VA = 4392VA, which assuming a power factor close to 1 will mean a peak output of no more than ~4300W from 12 x Enphase IQ7A inverters.

The oversizing of panels helps extract more energy in lower light conditions.
Thanks for the info. I do have the IQ7A. So i guess my system is normal ;)

I found the answer.. I'm going to solve this issue myself. I found out that I was reading the max input of the wattage produced by the panels on the DC side..but what i should have been looking at is the max continous output on the AC side. That number is 349 watts x 12 panels is exactly what my system produces.. thank god this is over ;) check out the 2 circles in the screenshot. Installers should be telling customers this real world info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211006-084609.png
    Screenshot_20211006-084609.png
    411.1 KB · Views: 5
4k is 20% overall degredation.
I would disagree. Hot panels produce less power. 80% of rated output is fairly typical unless the panels are fresh out of the shade and put into the sun at solar noon.

I get 35w out of my 50w panels on a regular basis.

Edit: looks like mystery solved and you're in an area where peak production is just much higher than where I am in the north.

I would disagree. Hot panels produce less power. 80% of rated output is fairly typical unless the panels are fresh out of the shade and put into the sun at solar noon.

I get 35w out of my 50w panels on a regular basis.

Edit: looks like mystery solved and you're in an area where peak production is just much higher than where I am in the north.
What exact model panels do you have?

What exact model panels do you have?
Some hqst stuff.

If I cool the panels down, cover them up, and then line them up just right to the sun before uncovering them I'll easily get the full 50w from the things for about a minute. So I know they're properly rated.

Anyone closer to the equator than myself should have no problem getting a much higher percentage than I see though, and I should have thought of that before posting.

But I wasn't gonna just dirty delete. I'll own up to my dumb posts.

Back