diy solar

diy solar

Recommended settings for Epever Tracer 4215bn with LiFePo4 batteries

TimO

My system:
5 - 100w panels in series
24v 120ah LiFePo4 battery bank ( 60ah cells connected parallel in sets of 2, then the 8 sets connected in series.)
200amp Samlex Battery Guard
2000 watt Samlex Pure Sine Wave inverter
Tracer 4215bn charge controller w/ MT-50 remote

I'm looking for recommended settings for the charge controller. I found this post https://diysolarforum.com/threads/r...e-for-diy-lifepo4-batteries-sticky-post.5101/ but the Epever has several settings without any real explanation of what they are. I think most of them apply to lead acid and aren't needed for LiFePo4, but that leaves me unsure how to set them.

Here are the settings:
Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage
Charging Limit Voltage
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage
Equalize Charging Voltage
Boost Charging Voltage
Float Charging Voltage
Boost Reconnect Charging Voltage
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage
Under Voltage Warning Reconnect Voltage
Under Volt. Warning Volt.
Low Volt. Disconnect Volt.
Discharging Limit Voltage
Equalize Duration (min.)
Boost Duration (min.)

Thanks for any help you can give me with this.
Tim

This is what I used to set mine, though it doesnt cover every single thing, it does list more than absorption, float and cut off.
This the part I found helpful:

"My Updated Charge Profile for LiFePO4:
  • Charge Limit Voltage (Absorption):
    14.2 volts for 12 volt battery, 28.4 volts for 24 volt battery
  • Float Voltage:
    13.5 volts for 12 volt battery, 27 volts for 24 volt battery
  • Set Equalize Time to: Disabled or 0
  • Set Temperature Compensation Coefficient to: 0 (usually its -3)
  • Low temp cut-off: 5 degrees C"'

Thanks for that. I took my values of Absorption and Float from Will Prowse's Design Your Own Raw LiFePO4 Cell Battery Solar Power System page, because I built my battery using 4 aluminum case cells and the Overkill Solar BMS he recommends on that page. There, for a 12V LiFePO4 Battery w/ BMS, he recommends: Absorption: 14.5V, Float: 13.6V normally, but with an optional Absorption setting of 14.1V for maximum life of the cells.

Rule A regarding voltage settings in the EPEVER / MT-50 Remote documentation states:
a) Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage > Charging Limit Voltage (Absorption) ≥ Equalize Charging Voltage ≥ Boost Charging Voltage ≥ Float Charging Voltage > Boost Voltage Reconnect.

That means that i guess Equalize Charging Voltage and Boost Charging Voltage just need to be set to some values in between (or equal to) Absorption and Float? My hunch would be to set those two equal to Absorption based on my understanding of what they do, but I'm not sure about that.

Any thoughts about other settings for the charge controller? I made this spreadsheet up with the rules and settings scenarios to make sense of it. It's a .csv that can be imported into excel or libreoffice/openoffice calc, but I had to change the extension to .txt for the forum to accept it.

Attachments

• Charge controller setup EPEVER with MT-50.txt
    934 bytes · Views: 839
Hi
Should you not match the charger settings to the BMS settings, or close to it. If your BMS is set to battery over voltage of 14.2v and your charger is set to 14.5v then the BMS will shut down at 14.2v. Also the cell settings would have an impact as they would shut down when the cell voltage reached full charge voltage.
example - cell over voltage is 3.65v therefore full charge voltage should be set just below that @14.4v and then the charge limit voltage should be about that as well.
That is my view on the settings anyway.

Back