diy solar

diy solar

Recs for 48V with dimension requirements (100x35x20cm)

aybabtme

I'm looking for off-the-shelf 48V LFP batteries that fit very specific dimensions:
  • No longer than 100cm
  • No wider than 20cm
  • No taller than 35cm
My application is quite weight sensitive, so high Wh/kg is important. Finally, CAN communication is highly desirable but not strictly necessary (for paralleling and for integration with Victron). UL listing a huge plus.

Do you know any off the shelf pack that would maximize these dimensions? The closes I could find was BigBattery's 48V Mustang but:
  • It's only ~105Wh/kg, despite using BYD 134Ah cells that are more like 160Wh/kg.
  • It doesn't have CAN.
The installation is aboard a electric propulsion sailing catamaran, and I want an even number of batteries in parallel. This is so that I can distribute the weight equally to port and starboard. Also because it's a catamaran, it is weight sensitive. The current pack is 16S of 280Ah, is split in two in the middle with a thick 2/0 cable, which makes for a super weird layout and not very confidence inspiring. It's using a REC Q BMS which was expensive(!) and turns out to only have a 1y warranty, and to be deprecated (I would have to redesign all my wiring). And something is wrong with either that REC BMS or some of the components in it, and I don't have time to debug each part one by one and throw money away (the boat is a 10h flight away). And since it's the third pack I designed and built, I'm kind of sick of DIYing packs and messing around. I would prefer giving someone some money and get a long warranty and a built-up package. So although I'm contemplating the DIY route using SVOLT's 196Ah cells for the high 185Wh/kg, I'm actually not so keen on that route, not wanting to spend my time building a high quality enclosure and setting up all the BMS systems and so on (here's a picture of the DIY layout I've been considering).

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 09.39.02.png

Last edited:
Well, you can't use 280ahs as they are around 7cm deep which comes up to around 115-120cm with fiberplates between the cells.
Not sure of an "off-the-shelf" solution really exist in those dimensions.
As stated above, with 280 cells you need around 120cm in length for the 16 row of cells + the case around them if DIYing.

Back