diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DCC50S how to disconnect the solar while driving? (automatically)

pezzodefero

hello Friends,
I looked in the forum, but I wasn't able to find and answer so far?
I was wondering if any of you can help me with the "situation":
we know that the DCC50S charge at max 50 amp, and if you drive at night with NO solar, it will get the 50amp from the alternator,
the "problem" is when you drive even with a small amount of solar the charger will split charge beetween SOLAR and alternator, resulting in 25AMP + any AMP that solar can provide resulting (in my case 300w solar on my roof) in a not very efficient charge while driving during the day( most of the time)
How can put a switch on the wire coming from the solar panel, but then i have to remember to switch it ON every time I'm not driving.
I think using a relay Normally closed on the solar wire that open the circuit while it recive current from the ALT would work, but I'have no idea on which relay use.
I'm in canada and would be easier to buy something from amazon

did anybody accomplish this?

thanks in advance
Gabriele

Those are normally open and draw 1.7 watts to stay closed.
Definitely want NC. There's this by the same manufacturer, but it's $17700 !

I think an SSR: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1101444462/search?origin=y&SearchText=ssr+dd, but I'm ignorant.
(I had a friend put an SSR in his electric oven so he could precisely control the temperature. He carefully timed the switching to match the 60hz line power so he would not need a big heat-sink. But that was AC and we would be switching DC and that only rarely. I think it would work)
I asked the vendor some questions.

(and thanks for bringing this behavior of the DCC50S to my attention. )

Whoops! Just saw this was started in 2020. I'm posting anyway.

If getting 50 amps from the vehicle is fine then let the voltage from the vehicle shut off the solar.
Even stopped for lunch the solar still puts something in.

Back