diy solar

diy solar

running my spring off of Solar

no kilicots please

Can anyone tell me the most economical way to pump water from my spring to my house? the Spring comes directly up from the ground (not out of the side of a hill) so no downhill to possibly run a ram pump!! The reservoir is approximately 3 feet deep in a box 4 by 4 ft. the house is about 300 feet from the spring on a slight uphill grade. I would say less than a 10-foot rise in the elevation. The spring use to have a shallow well pump in line running on the grid. I was wanting to use a similar pump but run off solar. Any advice would be appreciated.

For a bit more money, DC pump e.g. Surflo, and PV panel

For a bit less money, a suction pump at the house. AC powered Surflo?

What volume of water do you want? Do you have a tank and booster pump? Or is there an uphill, put tank higher for gravity feed to house?

How long does your "reservoir" last? Ideally, you have a pump that works directly from the Solar Panels, and will run continuously when there is sun, and the reservoir is not full. It would then call it a day. Otherwise, you need a battery to run the pump when the sun isn't shining (or doesn't shine for a few days).

How long does your "reservoir" last? Ideally, you have a pump that works directly from the Solar Panels, and will run continuously when there is sun, and the reservoir is not full. It would then call it a day. Otherwise, you need a battery to run the pump when the sun isn't shining (or doesn't shine for a few days).
We spring during dry season still produces approximately 15 gallons a minute. I do not want the pump to run continuously. I simply want a pump to move water to the house for use for shower, dishes.. and that’s about it

For a bit more money, DC pump e.g. Surflo, and PV panel

For a bit less money, a suction pump at the house. AC powered Surflo?

What volume of water do you want? Do you have a tank and booster pump? Or is there an uphill, put tank higher for gravity feed to house?
I don’t need a pump to run continuously. Just simply to supply water for hone usage, a shower and dishes.. I do not have anything in place now except the waterline from the spring to the house

In that case, need charge controller and battery. Pump controlled by pressure switch. Pressure tank.
But I'd prefer elevated tank if possible. Even just 20 gallons at roof height.
I once had a 50 gallon drum up the hill from a trailer, maybe 10' of head.

We spring during dry season still produces approximately 15 gallons a minute. I do not want the pump to run continuously. I simply want a pump to move water to the house for use for shower, dishes.. and that’s about it
You said you wanted the most economical way. Most economical may be elevated water storage at house that is refilled when solar is available (run continuously until tank is full for the day).

"I don’t need a pump to run continuously. Just simply to supply water for hone usage, a shower and dishes.. I do not have anything in place now except the waterline from the spring to the house"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Will you ALWAYS run each fixture individually or just one at a time? Makes a big difference. How many minutes per day would you say you want the pump to run to serve your needs? Dishes by hand and not dishwasher (hopefully)?

If never more than one fixture at a time, RV pump will do. They only run when you ask for water - they have a built-in pressure activated switch that shuts them off at 30-40 PSI and turns them on when you turn on a fixture and the pressure drops.

Cheap pumps will create a noticeable rise/fall cycle in water pressure as they pressure up, then shut off, then pressure up again. Kind of annoying when taking a shower. More expensive ones have bypass valving or variable speed to minimize this. Small pressure tanks help some. If you had a jet pump originally, do you already have a pressure tank?

Power-wise, you will need a solar panel, a charge controller, and a battery to fire things up. Size of the power components depends on the amt. of time per day you need the pump to run and its current draw. Pump will need a screen filter to keep sand/dirt/other crap out.

Here's what I would do as a "trial balloon" to see if this will meet your needs:

After determining what GPM you need, buy a cheap pump off Amazon that will push that. Scrounge a 12V battery (car battery will do). Hook it all up to your spring/piping/cabin and see what you think of it. The car battery will probably run the pump for a couple days of intermittent use. I ran a 4.5 GPM Flo-Jet for several days off one of those "jump start" packs (the lunchbox sized one - NOT the "plug it into the cigarette lighter one") once when it was all that I had.

If you like how things went, then invest in the solar stuff. Wear out the cheap pump and then replace it with something better.

I did something like this for years until my spring dried up. Just pump about 1gal minute into an large elevated storage tank. Gravity feed to the house. Used a 65w panel and a 12V surflo ag sprayer diaphragm pump. Had a wire float switch on the tank and a Linear current booster on the pump.

"I don’t need a pump to run continuously. Just simply to supply water for hone usage, a shower and dishes.. I do not have anything in place now except the waterline from the spring to the house"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Will you ALWAYS run each fixture individually or just one at a time? Makes a big difference. How many minutes per day would you say you want the pump to run to serve your needs? Dishes by hand and not dishwasher (hopefully)?

If never more than one fixture at a time, RV pump will do. They only run when you ask for water - they have a built-in pressure activated switch that shuts them off at 30-40 PSI and turns them on when you turn on a fixture and the pressure drops.

Cheap pumps will create a noticeable rise/fall cycle in water pressure as they pressure up, then shut off, then pressure up again. Kind of annoying when taking a shower. More expensive ones have bypass valving or variable speed to minimize this. Small pressure tanks help some. If you had a jet pump originally, do you already have a pressure tank?

Power-wise, you will need a solar panel, a charge controller, and a battery to fire things up. Size of the power components depends on the amt. of time per day you need the pump to run and its current draw. Pump will need a screen filter to keep sand/dirt/other crap out.

Here's what I would do as a "trial balloon" to see if this will meet your needs:

After determining what GPM you need, buy a cheap pump off Amazon that will push that. Scrounge a 12V battery (car battery will do). Hook it all up to your spring/piping/cabin and see what you think of it. The car battery will probably run the pump for a couple days of intermittent use. I ran a 4.5 GPM Flo-Jet for several days off one of those "jump start" packs (the lunchbox sized one - NOT the "plug it into the cigarette lighter one") once when it was all that I had.

If you like how things went, then invest in the solar stuff. Wear out the cheap pump and then replace it with something better.
Will a RV type pump push water 300 feet from the spring to the house? The 1 inch water line comes from the spring with a foot valve on it in the spring, to a pump house (a place down in the ground where the old shallow well pump and pressure tank was housed) then 300 feet to the house.

A small pump will push any horizontal distance.
Flow rate can be reduced, but 1" is large and flow from the pumps is low. An RV pump could be as low as 2 gpm, but you could get one running higher for multiple fixtures. Some optimal balance between volume and pressure give nicest results.

Your water usage and PV power will determine the limits.
Pump data sheets should give volume vs. head. You should be able to find data on pressure drop vs. flow, pipe diameter, and length. Then you can design the system.

A small pump will push any horizontal distance.
Flow rate can be reduced, but 1" is large and flow from the pumps is low. An RV pump could be as low as 2 gpm, but you could get one running higher for multiple fixtures. Some optimal balance between volume and pressure give nicest results.

Your water usage and PV power will determine the limits.
Pump data sheets should give volume vs. head. You should be able to find data on pressure drop vs. flow, pipe diameter, and length. Then you can design the system.
The pup house is about 25 feet from the spring, So I supposed I need to put a pump in line and just try it!

Ram pump ?

0 power consumption , very reliable , have been known to work for 50yrs + without maintenance

People ram pump up water to a small header tank / pool , then electrically pump water to your house as required , this way you need a lot smaller pump cause it doesn't have to lift the water as far (if at all)

Yes.

Self-priming is more difficult over distance and lift. Foot valve helps. Diaphram pump like SurFlo should be good, and has specs for priming height. Could be about 10' priming lift max, so better with pump near height of spring although it might have pulled all the way from house.

My centrifugal pool pump sprays some water from pressure side back to inlet, helps draw air through. Very inefficient, but convenient.

If you're going to buy something, engineer it for satisfactory, hopefully satisfying performance.

Lead-acid battery should be good for this application. Avoid over-discharge. Either excess PV, or get SCC that has voltage controlled relay (probably not sufficient for pump operating current, but could switch a relay.) Use temperature sensor to compensate charge voltage.

SurFlo is the old standby. They are brush type so that needs to be replaced eventually.
Perhaps there are BLDC options.

Maybe you can find a cheap used one on eBay to play with.

Would be good to determine optimum pressure/flow before paying the price of a new one.
Determine flow rate desired for users of any simultaneous fixtures.
Determine pressure drop in pipe at that flow rate.
Choose minimum desired pressure at fixture.
That should let you check pump specs, see if they are adequate.
Remember you'll want a pressure switch. Ideally add a captive air tank.

He described not having drop for ram pump.
I'm wondering what happens to the water he doesn't use.

Ram might be good for irrigation etc. with continuous flow needs.

If I had enough flow for ram, I'd set up a micro hydro generator to power the house. Use a little bit of the power for a water pump.

is there a pump you would recommend to try? again, any details I can supply, Im just uneducated on dc type pumps!! any help would be appreciated

I assume with this statement there is currently an AC pump doing this job. What are its specs.

Ram pump ?

0 power consumption , very reliable , have been known to work for 50yrs + without maintenance

People ram pump up water to a small header tank / pool , then electrically pump water to your house as required , this way you need a lot smaller pump cause it doesn't have to lift the water as far (if at all)
I cannot use a ram pump because I do not have any downhill slope with my water to generate speed/volume flowing downhill to operate a ram pump

I assume with this statement there is currently an AC pump doing this job. What are its specs.

The spring use to have a shallow well pump in line running on the grid.

It's specs will not be convenient to replace with PV DC. Something like 1/3 HP induction motor and centrifugal pump.
It will also be way overkill for the needed flow and pressure.

No, there was a shallow well pump in line with a pressure tank. This was an AC current pump on the grid. I was simply wanting to not hook to the grid

It's specs will not be convenient to replace with PV DC. Something like 1/3 HP induction motor and centrifugal pump.
It will also be way overkill for the needed flow and pressure.
I am thinking pressures, inclines, volume..... What the pump can do.

While not exactly the same,
My Mountain Spring flows out of the ground between 6-10 gal/min. I have that captured into an intermediate 350 gallon tank. Over flowing to ground downhill anything not used.
Within the 350 gallon intermediate tank is a 220v 3/4HP well pump, manual switch to pump contents of 350 gallon tank - 1800 gallon tank uphill, higher than house. Gravity flow 100% from 1800 gallon tank TO House plumbing.
I refill large tank (2) times a month, about 4-5 hours.
Its worked well over 10 years. Self installed.
My solar system easily runs the well pump as needed.

Can anyone tell me the most economical way to pump water from my spring to my house? the Spring comes directly up from the ground (not out of the side of a hill) so no downhill to possibly run a ram pump!! The reservoir is approximately 3 feet deep in a box 4 by 4 ft. the house is about 300 feet from the spring on a slight uphill grade. I would say less than a 10-foot rise in the elevation. The spring use to have a shallow well pump in line running on the grid. I was wanting to use a similar pump but run off solar. Any advice would be appreciated.
Telling us about your power use may help get an answer that works better in terms of the bigger picture. Can the AC shallow water pump still be used?

diy solar

diy solar
Back