diy solar

diy solar

RV Happiness

Hey all. Already loving this form. I set up my own 200w system on my motorhome. My skill is basic and so is my setup. I am currently hooked up with a 40A mppt charge controller to my house batteries. I want to keep my engine battery topped off also. I usually hook it up to the house but have an extension cord people can trip on. Can I add a second charge controller in series to this system for the engine battery? What would be the cleanest option with what I currently have?

How often do you move?
An additional SCC would be in parallel vs series.
An AC extension cord or a set of DC battery cables?

If you're asking if you can add another controller to the solar panels in addition to the existing one, no.

The 'cleanest' solution that I can see is to replace your existing controller with one from Renogy. It will allow you to charge 2 dis-similar battery systems/types from the panels AND allow your house battery to be charged from your alternator. With an MPPT input it will use your existing panels.

My starting battery is next to my house battery and I have a wire with a clip on it that I change over to topping up the starter when the house is full.
If you have different battery chemistries then a change over relay from house to starter would keep it topped up while you are stationary. If you can get up to 400 watts of solar onto your roof then I have found I dont every need to look to the alternator while on the road. Travelling cools the panels (air across both sides) and Im producing 18 amps into the system while mobile without taxing or complicating things with an alternator. Hungry LIFEPO4 batteries can overheat an alternator if you dont have other components (like a dc -dc charger -more money weight and complexity) Many in my country (aus) keep the systems separate now as solar is so cheap. After one panel the wind drag is negligible for extras.
Probably the easiest way to make sure your starter is full is a 5 amp lead acid three stage battery charger (I use c-tek) or larger from your inverter when the house batteries are full and you have excess solar. Mine stays connected to shore power so it charges the starter when 240v is plugged in and it can easily be plugged into the inverter when its not being used. I do it mainly when its sitting in the driveway for months between trips. The charger sits on trickle full. Twice a month for 10 hours is plenty. The house batteries always have the solar.

Back