diy solar

diy solar

Safety Gloves?

I just took a full 8 hour electrical safety course at work last week.

I knew you needed to be safe, but holy crap I did NOT know the level of safety gear the industry expects you to wear just to go into an electrical panel and use a multimeter to verify no electricity on what you're working on.

I'm talking, appropriately electrically rated shirt (with hood) , pants, shoes, gloves, balaclava and full electrically rated face shield.

Everything is rated in calories, to protect against a potential arc blast.

Granted we work with 3-phase AC 480, 208 etc, but it's A LOT.
They showed us three or four videos of the aftermath of people not wearing any PPE and admittedly I still left the class thinking that some of it was pretty overkill.
😬😬😬😬😳😳
Reminded me of the story one of the electricians at work told me years ago...
He was in one of those full suits, gloves, hood, etc resetting a breaker for the main sub station(forget how many kVA) in a rain storm, said they tied a tether to him that was tied to a golf cart so they could recover him if something went terribly wrong. I don't completely understand how those breakers work but it involves something being turned back into position.
He had the fear of God in his eyes telling the story, I'm almost certain there was no BS.
I see these guys work in 480V cabinets on a daily basis with nothing more than protective shirts and pants. You know things are serious when the hoods and gloves come out.
About a decade back we had a 3 phase dielectric faulting out, every time it blew a fuse I thought a shooter was in the building, those fuses made our battery pack Class Ts look like array fuses.
... Enough rambling.

I see these guys work in 480V cabinets on a daily basis with nothing more than protective shirts and pants. You know things are serious when the hoods and gloves come out.
I would not want to get hit with 3 phase 480VAC, but I'm sure the much higher voltages are significantly more terrifying.

those fuses made our battery pack Class Ts look like array fuses.
Yeah, we use some fuses here that are HUGE, probably carry close to 24KW.

The worst shock, I have ever experienced. (30 years ago)
I completed the return path of a 277v lighting MWBC. The neutral fell out of a bad connection, in an above ceiling junction box. And landed against my hand, while I was in contact with the lay-in ceiling grid.
Seeing all of the lights flickering and feeling each flicker in my chest, sucked.
A loaded neutral is the most dangerous conductor in any system.
It took me a couple of days to get over that one.
But it did teach me a valuable lesson. Don't trust anyone else's work.

Class 0 gloves will provide plenty of protection 1000vac/1500vdc, but IMO isolate and insulate is always the best option. Also gloves that you use once today will prob be useless in 5-10 years when you might need them again. Gloves are checked almost each day when used, all it takes is a pin hole to end the day badly.

PPE is the last defense of being safe and you never want to count on it
Found this which may come in handy. Now I'm going down the insulated tools rabbit hole....

Screenshot_20240411_052810_Gallery.jpg

Electrical PPE is important.

Understanding HOW electricity can hurr you and learning procedures that keep you from EVER being in contact with electricity pathways keep you safe.

Electrical PPE is important.

Understanding HOW electricity can hurr you and learning procedures that keep you from EVER being in contact with electricity pathways keep you safe.
Lick that wire. I double dog dare you.

Back