diy solar

diy solar

safety question: Extending and splitting my 120v Inverter outlet into two recessed power strips

max4296

I have a 1000W renogy pure sine inverter (power save version), which only has 1 AC plug output in the back. What I would LIKE for my campervan design is to have two different AC plug locations (one near the bed, one by the kitchen).

The simplest solution seems to be to plug a y-splitter extension cable into my inverter (like this one, about 10' length), giving me two plugs to work with. And then I would plug two small recessed power strips (like this one, giving an additional 9.85' extension), one into each extension cord end.

This is obviously not ideal or NEC compliant , but is anything about such a setup inherently unsafe? I will only be plugging in my laptop and an occasional small appliance into the AC outlets. If there is a safety issue, is there better way I could wire it to accomplish the same goal?

1000W is lots of useful power.
I would want more outlets.

*I* would wire a heavy duty 12ga 3-conductor extension cord into a metal surface-mount outlet box with the “first” outlet a GFCI with another duplex outlet. Then use maybe flexible metallic conduit and run that to another surface mount box with a single duplex outlet. Plug the cord into the inverter.
Can you charge anything from 12V?

Back