diy solar

diy solar

Same but not the same?

Incorrect.

Power consumption used in a 24 hour period determines the minimum array size. Period.
I learned from SunshineEggo to stick it out and pursue accuracy, thanks!

I learned from TimsElectric when not to get involved...thanks!
You have more faith than I.
I do appreciate the thoroughness and that every statement was read and commented on by SunshineEggo.

Oh yes, I learned from the moderator, there is a time to listen and a time to step in. :cool:
Its up to the buyer to decide what they need.

Because it yielded what I say about almost everything I think or say, until my wife says differently:
Exactly what I thought and said to start with.

So my mind wasn't failing me after all. Exactly what I thought and said to start with. Same battery pack but different watts of array. One can logically and realistically draw the conclusion I did. More array covers a heavier daylight load which validates everything I was saying. I need enough array to ensure my batteries are fully charged for the off peak hours as well as handle my climate control loads for daylight hours which is also when my batteries will be charged. So yes it matters when the electricity is used and how much of it to size the array is a practical and logical explanation for the difference of array size between various kits. Seemed like a pretty simple question to me. I quickly realized you didn't fully understand my question. It happens.
Sizing a bank based on 24hr use is not a one size fits all method. I see no reason to have bank to cover any daylight load my a/c has if my array can cover both task (charge bank while running the a/c only. That's kinda what the panels are for. I have a generator as well as grid to fall back on so at the moment inclement weather doesn't effect me at all. I don't need apocalyptic storage. Just enough to get through the night other than heating/cooling I carry enough electricity in my brain to cover the power my minimalist wife and I use.

Thanks for your feedback ?
It is different array, and different inverter.
You ONLY have daylight hours to collect all the energy your loads and batteries will need.

The battery needs to be sized to handle the inverter surge loads, the after dark loads, and the inclement weather loads.

The array needs to be large enough to recharge the battery WHILE handling the daytime loads, and recovering storage and low light energy extra storage, in the available average daylight.

Sure, a large array can help handle large daylight loads, but it needs to be sized to handle ALL the loads of the day, in the available hours of daylight.

Back