diy solar

diy solar

SCE - Existing Tesla Solar NEM 1.0 - Want to add EG4 Hybrid Inverter and Battery

Hi, I am in Southern California (SCE) with a 9 year old 3.5 KW solar system which is under NEM 1.0. The system was bought through solar city. It was owned by Solar City, now Tesla and is a PPA type of setup where I pre-purchased all of the power. I do not have a bill to Tesla but they own the system. I am on TOU D plan and my power cost are getting expensive so I am looking to add a battery to my system. My goal is to charge the battery at night and run my house off of the battery during peak times. My current peak usuage is about 10 kwh per day. It seems like an EG4 18kpv inverter and the new EG4 PowerPro WallMount AllWeather 48V 280Ah LiFePO4 Battery is the ticket.

I have tried to understand adding size to my system and NEM rules but smoke is starting to come out of my ears. I see that adding batteries is okay, but is it okay if I need to add an inverter? As best I can tell, I cannot mess with my current Tesla system. I plan to leave all of that alone and add the inverter downstream my current main panel which is where the Solar is hooked up. I would move all of my circuits into a new sub panel that would be powered by the EG4. Assuming the inverter is configured to never put power on the grid, can I keep NEM 1.0?

I have read a lot about zero export, but I think when I am reading about it, its more about people who have PV cells hooked up to the EG4. I currently do not plan to add PV cells. I would just be using it to add battery capabilities. I like the EG4 because it has all of the California certifications and the price helps to justify the cost.

Back