diy solar

diy solar

Schneider RS unit: Nuisance AFD and functionality of 6 pin SWD jumper

brucenmi

We had a Schneider XW 6848 inverter, MPPT100-600 charge controller, and RS unit installed in November 2023. The good news is that it has arc fault detection built in. The bad news: we've been averaging one nuisance AF detect per month. It's no big deal if my wife or I are at home but when this happens while we're away, no energy gets exported until we return to reset the fault.

I'm contemplating adding a RPi that would, after a delay, auto reset the AFD. It would do this once only in case an actual arc fault were to occur.

Before I Rube Goldberg my way into this, I'm wondering if anyone knows the signals available on the 6 pin jumper on the far right of the PCA in the RS box (besides the GND pin).

SWD jumper 1 - sm.jpg

From my research a while back, they didn't document any sensitivity adjustment in the arc fault detection. Now that you've got the unit, is that true, no sensitivity adjustment?

I have no idea what the pin out might be. Two of the pins (power and gnd) are probably easy enough to figure out, looks like ground might even be labeled. But the serial comms may be difficult to interpret.

From my research a while back, they didn't document any sensitivity adjustment in the arc fault detection. Now that you've got the unit, is that true, no sensitivity adjustment?

I have no idea what the pin out might be. Two of the pins (power and gnd) are probably easy enough to figure out, looks like ground might even be labeled. But the serial comms may be difficult to interpret.
Sensitivity adjustment isn't available, as far as I can see.

Just checking: your PV panel frames/rails are grounded to earth, yes?
You shouldn't have regular arc faults in a normal installation which has all good connections etc.

Back