diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW Generator Input Experience

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
I'm wondering what anyone's experience is with running a dirty generator input on an XW off grid system.

The reason for my question is I am deciding between buying a chargeverter or the 18amp 48v 120v charger.

Right now what I have is a 1000w 120v two stroke generator, so the 18 amp 48v 120v charger would be perfect.

However, in the future I might add a larger maybe 6000w generator, probably non inverter and questionable power quality.

So I'm wondering if when I potentially get that larger generator would I be happy with it on the AC2 input, or would the chargeverter be a lot better.

I run a bog standard champion 7800w duel fuel genny. No issues. I've not even played with the acceptable range of frequency input.

The odd time it may not qualify but I just flip the breaker off and on a couple times and it sorts itself out.

I do keep it at 5000w running to get the best fuel consumption out of it and to leave a bit in for surge of appliances while I'm charging.

I have run the XW+ on a Champion Open Frame 5000W Inverter generator. Was originally gasoline only and I added a Nat Gas kit so its dual fuel now. No problem qualifying the input voltage and frequency, transfer relay closes and gen power flows through. I haven't tested it extensively but worked fine.

One issue that I need to go back and understand better is the gen support settings. I had gen support set at 15A. House was pulling a light load, I then turned on the 3,000W, 240V oven and the surge caused some kind of an issue where the XW+ disconnected the generator. After everything stabilized in a few seconds the inverter requalified AC2 input and reconnected. So it is isn't clear if the XW+ inverter didn't react fast enough to prevent a momentary surge to the generator that exceeded the 15A setting or the Champion generator just cannot react fast enough to prevent a short term voltage sag even if the surge load was in fact kept within its rated output.
Now that this subject has come up, it reminds me I need to get busy and do the aforementioned testing.

When the generator sags under load the rpm drops with a resulting decrease in frequency. This causes the XW to drop the generator input if it goes below min qualifying frequency. Generator support is based on current not frequency as the XW always has to match the input frequency and voltage. I have not played with generator support since my generators have always been larger than the schneider recommended size for gen support.

I don't have a generator, so I haven't tried it. There was a post here recently about someone having difficulties qualifying, but that was because they didn't remove the AC input from AC 1.

Also, if your gen is 120 but the XW is 120/240 it won't work.

Back