diy solar

diy solar

Seller of Envision 305Ah cells - UK

squowse

Solar Enthusiast
Have had some of these from Fogstar (UK based dealer) and have been very happy with them. Unfortunately they went out of stock and the price has now gone up to £115.

NKON jn the netherlands (holland) have them for almost half that price but they wont ship to UK.

So - I’m considering going direct to a Chinese dealer. Have only found Exilporc till now.

I would be happier to sort out the import taxes myself as can reclaim most of them. The DDP method as implemented by the Alibaba suppliers is basically smuggling as far as i can tell. (No receipt for import taxes paid).

What price are you seeing for direct import and what is the lead time and shipping costs?

Maybe look at Eel Battery in China ?
I'm UK and bought 4 grade a 280ah Eve cells from them in October last year for my motorhome. They arrived about 30 days later, well packaged and they were all excellent. They were 70 quid a cell.
I'm a week away from pulling the trigger on another 16 for home. Comms were great, shipping and tracking derails arrived a couple of days after payment... The guys name is Howard.

Just do a road trip to NKON in Eindhoven, declare them to UK customs for personal use and pay online before leaving, get some nice Belgian beers on the way back!
I don’t think Customs would entertain that neither that the channel crossing companies would allow it. (Dangerous goods)

Last edited:
I don’t think Customs would entertain that neither that the channel crossing companies would allow it. (Dangerous goods)
They allow gas canisters, pyrotechnic flares and electric cars on the ferries, maybe worth checking, but I'd assume a few cells in the boot for personal use is very different to a whole truck with pallets of cells to commercially import.. 🤷‍♂️

Just do a road trip to NKON in Eindhoven, declare them to UK customs for personal use and pay online before leaving, get some nice Belgian beers on the way back!
Just a thought - how does this work from a VAT perspective? They sell you them excl VAT as you can prove they're not staying in the EU.and you've prepaid VAT and Duty into UK? Or you pay full whack and have to jump throught some VAT reclaim hoops at the port of exit?

I can probably get to Eindhoven in about 5 hours so this is actually feasible for me...and if I'm driving a Tesla, incremental risk of conflagration is pretty low :)

You declare at customs on entry to the UK and pay the required duties and VAT, so have copy of invoice and a commodity code.
Right. But how do NKON know I am actually exporting and not merely a chancer who is actually going to keep the goods within the EU?

Just want to.make sure I have sufficient funds in place in case I have to pay VAT on purchase, again on import to UK, and only after can reclaim from (I assume) the Dutch authorities?

Right. But how do NKON know I am actually exporting and not merely a chancer who is actually going to keep the goods within the EU?
Pay in advance using a UK VAT registered company's Purchase Order with you as the named person picking them up. Loads of non UK companies bought goods off the UK company I worked for using their own freight. Invoice was handed over to the driver marked as Ex Works and no VAT was added as the buyer was non UK. The driver had 6 copies of the paperwork to allow him to leave a copy at each stage on the journey.

Read up on Eori numbers, a type of VAT number for individuals who are not VAT registered but want to reclaim VAT after its paid as a border is crossed.

I'm not sure, but It could be relatively simple for a road trip, we have an allowance up to £390 to bring goods for personal use into the UK, anything above that has to be declared, the link I posted on the other Envision thread tells you how much tax and duty to pay above that.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-tax-on-goods-you-bring-into-the-uk/previous-declaration

If that's paid online before bringing them back then maybe NKON will sell them tax free upon proof of the declaration and payment of duty, if not it's still cheaper to pay tax twice. Or two people in the same car could buy 6 x Envision 305Ah or just over 5 x 280K's each under the allowance.

Back