diy solar

diy solar

Shading panel configuration

Doug864

There is a lot of discussion about shading lately and thread (pv series vs parallel) has great info with opinions each way but I don’t see much on panel configuration (layout). I have trees everywhere and cutting them down isn’t an option. I’m showing a crude drawing of my scenario with sun trajectory, circles as trees, and panels. The most shade is from the trees on the top side of panels.
Im thinking strings with A1-A2, B1-B2, C1-C2, D1-D2, and E1-E2 as roughly only 2 panels at a time would be cut off from shade As the sun moves west. Totally new at solar let alone add shading in the equation so any feedback is great. ThanksB7BA1415-8411-4C9A-9D53-9C3A08CCBAD1.jpeg

Is there more info I need to provide for clarification? I’d like to get started on building the deck roof these will get mounted on. The size of it depends on the layout. Portrait or landscape. 9-12 250w panels.
With growatt 5000 and auto transformer. Will mount 9-12 more panels later.
Thanks

@Doug864 Would help if you could provide system voltage, Growatt 5000 specifics, a picture of the shaded area(the drawing leaves much to be desired), whether ground mount or not, and whether would you consider bigger panels, etc.

Last edited:
Anyhow.

If you use 500W+ half-cut panels, you only need 6 of these for an array of 3000W. If it's a 48V system, you could go 2S3P.

Half-cut panel means that the panel has two halves where each half works independently of the other half.

In other words, two panels in one, connected in parallel. This drastically reduces the area on the panel that needs to have some light on it to produce the rated panel voltage.

With that said, you could consider 6x500W half-cut panels as, (2S2P)3P. A much finer grid to manage shading than say, 12x250W panels for a 48V system.

Anyhow, there are a bunch of parameters to consider when designing an array that will operate in shaded conditions. Pictures of the area in winter time at different times of the day are a minimum, then the system voltage, AIO/SCC Voc/Isc limits, array distance from the core system, and so on and on.

@Doug864 Would help if you could provide system voltage, Growatt 5000 specifics, a picture of the shaded area(the drawing leaves much to be desired), whether ground mount or not, and whether would you consider bigger panels, etc.
Thanks for responding. This will be a 48v system panels will be on the roof of a covered deck 10’ away from equipment.
3- eg4 48v 100ah batteries. Might add 2 more if funds are available.
Growatt 5kw 5000 es.
Max pv input 6000w
Max mppt operating 450v
Max charge current 100a. .
Already have 24 of canadian solar 250v panels. voc-37.2 v and isc-8.87a.
The rough drawing shows the sun path with trees everywhere and the array which are not to scale ?
Most shade from trees is straight path roughly south to north that’s why I thought the layout would be as said above.
Thanks

Again, without a picture, it's hard to suggest anything useful.

The panel's size, type, Isc, and Voc aren't suited to work with here, and to spice it up a bit, you got a single MPPT to work with. Obviously, this doesn't mean it's the end of the world, but, I think it's safe to say your production during those three months won't be much unless it's better than what I can make out of your drawing.

I guess, if the trees aren't tall and are far enough, maybe consider building a simple raised structure to hold the array at least 15ft in the air.

Back