diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar just sent out a "Tech Upgrade Program" offer to upgrade to EG4 6000xp from EG4 6500ex is it worth it?

diyhandyman

I received the email titled " Introducing Signature Solar's Tech Upgrade Program" ... basically it states you can exchange an EG4-6500ex (if purchased from Signature solar in NEW condition anytime before 2024) and get a EG4-6000xp discount to $750.00 for-each EG4-6500ex returned. So two units returned would be $750 x 2. The return time is 6 weeks from upgrading and return shipping is free for lower 48. The EG4 6500ex are eligible for the program regardless of warranty status as long as there were purchased NEW from Signature Solar and you must return the EG4-6500ex units within 6 weeks.

So here's my situation. I purchased 2 x EG4 6500ex in May 2022 (new), stored them until I finished installing a DIY ground mount system (my outback car port design for storage under the array) with lean-to roof of 30 Mission Solar panels ( MSE345SX5T) 345W for a total of 10.3KW. I have the 2-EG4 6500ex
set up in split phase mode and updated firmware to 79.71 (#42 Stationary Mode) with EG4 battery bank of 31KW@100ah. I complete the install in Dec 2023, but only done simple load tests so far (Charging batters and power some simple loads). My goal is to replace 90-95% of my grid usage and just have grid-backup/assist. I will never have grid feed back -- I want to control and own my power.

So this forum and Will Prowse' channel was a great help in my 2 year quest to get my EG4 6500ex system installed and running -- Thanks to all that endured the problems that I was able to avoid (it really has gone soomthly so far). Then today I get the "Tech Upgrade Program" email from Signature solar. Saying for a limited time.. I can upgrade to the EG4 6000xp for 750 each if I give up my NEW EG4 6500exs (which I have only installed since late Dec 2023).

Can you all help me decide if this is worth it?
I can't afford to make any mistakes (I am pretty much tapped out with the cost of my current setup)... I have spent about 29K to implement my current system via DIY.

Is there a drawback to the "smaller" power provided in the new EG4 600xp units vs the EG4 6500ex especially running with grid back and both in-split phase mode?

The saving of having the integrated switching does not really apply to my situation because I had to provide them for the EG4 6500ex setup. So what would be the "real" benefits?

Should I worry about the fact the EG4-6500ex are considered legacy and Signature Solar will not be selling them or updating the firmware in the future?
Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The first batch of EG4-6500ex seem to be good, after that they had issues.
I would run them hard for a couple of weeks and see how they do.

I received the email titled " Introducing Signature Solar's Tech Upgrade Program" ... basically it states you can exchange an EG4-6500ex (if purchased from Signature solar in NEW condition anytime before 2024) and get a EG4-6000xp discount to $750.00 for-each EG4-6500ex returned. So two units returned would be $750 x 2. The return time is 6 weeks from upgrading and return shipping is free for lower 48. The EG4 6500ex are eligible for the program regardless of warranty status as long as there were purchased NEW from Signature Solar and you must return the EG4-6500ex units within 6 weeks.

So here's my situation. I purchased 2 x EG4 6500ex in May 2022 (new), stored them until I finished installing a DIY ground mount system (my outback car port design for storage under the array) with lean-to roof of 30 Mission Solar panels ( MSE345SX5T) 345W for a total of 10.3KW. I have the 2-EG4 6500ex
set up in split phase mode and updated firmware to 79.71 (#42 Stationary Mode) with EG4 battery bank of 31KW@100ah. I complete the install in Dec 2023, but only done simple load tests so far (Charging batters and power some simple loads). My goal is to replace 90-95% of my grid usage and just have grid-backup/assist. I will never have grid feed back -- I want to control and own my power.

So this forum and Will Prowse' channel was a great help in my 2 year quest to get my EG4 6500ex system installed and running -- Thanks to all that endured the problems that I was able to avoid (it really has gone soomthly so far). Then today I get the "Tech Upgrade Program" email from Signature solar. Saying for a limited time.. I can upgrade to the EG4 6000xp for 750 each if I give up my NEW EG4 6500exs (which I have only installed since late Dec 2023).

Can you all help me decide if this is worth it?
I can't afford to make any mistakes (I am pretty much tapped out with the cost of my current setup)... I have spent about 29K to implement my current system via DIY.

Is there a drawback to the "smaller" power provided in the new EG4 600xp units vs the EG4 6500ex especially running with grid back and both in-split phase mode?

The saving of having the integrated switching does not really apply to my situation because I had to provide them for the EG4 6500ex setup. So what would be the "real" benefits?

Should I worry about the fact the EG4-6500ex are considered legacy and Signature Solar will not be selling them or updating the firmware in the future?
Thoughts?

Thanks.
So did you upgrade. I'm having nothing but problems with my 2 6500s, and it just keeps getting worse! Working with tech sort of.

So did you upgrade. I'm having nothing but problems with my 2 6500s, and it just keeps getting worse! Working with tech sort of.
I worked with @SignatureSolarJess, provided some simple documentation demonstrating the problem (flickering) and I then returned the two 6500ex under RMA and received store credit (under warranty) and purchased 2 new 6000xp as replacements. I did purchased another refurbished 6500ex unit to see if that would be a viable solution (they gave me a choice... try refurbished units or get a credit). The refurbished 6500EX unit had the same light flickering issue so ultimately I took the credit. The refurbished 6500ex I will use as a dedicated "non-lighting" power source for future projects. I am VERY pleased with Signature Solar during this whole process. It took some time, but it all worked out in the end. @SignatureSolarJess was wonderful. I will definately keep using Signature Solar as a source.

I worked with @SignatureSolarJess, provided some simple documentation demonstrating the problem (flickering) and I then returned the two 6500ex under RMA and received store credit (under warranty) and purchased 2 new 6000xp as replacements. I did purchased another refurbished 6500ex unit to see if that would be a viable solution (they gave me a choice... try refurbished units or get a credit). The refurbished 6500EX unit had the same light flickering issue so ultimately I took the credit. The refurbished 6500ex I will use as a dedicated "non-lighting" power source for future projects. I am VERY pleased with Signature Solar during this whole process. It took some time, but it all worked out in the end. @SignatureSolarJess was wonderful. I will definately keep using Signature Solar as a source.
Thank you so much @diyhandyman ! I'm so glad we found a solution and could get this taken care of :)
@jbkrntrprz If you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!

I did like the 6500ex model, I upgraded to the latest firmware on both and upgraded the firmware on the EG4 batteries and followed all the bestpractices (i.e. get the grounding stuff figured out --- Setting #42 ENABLE for stationary off-grid use... meaning neutral is passed through from input to output) So the only problem I really ever had was the flicking lights during daylight hours. I did go through and learn what each setting was and made sure I understook the values based on the updated manuals.

I did like the 6500ex model, I upgraded to the latest firmware on both and upgraded the firmware on the EG4 batteries and followed all the bestpractices (i.e. get the grounding stuff figured out --- Setting #42 ENABLE for stationary off-grid use... meaning neutral is passed through from input to output) So the only problem I really ever had was the flicking lights during daylight hours. I did go through and learn what each setting was and made sure I understook the values based on the updated manuals.
I get flickering lights during different scenarios. Thought it was because I was not grounded properly but I'm now thoroughly grounded,(house and PV system) but made no difference. Seems like the 6500s are prone to this problem! I don't want to have to return these units and start over but I might not have a choice.

Back