diy solar

diy solar

Single GTIL2 240v in the US?

gururise

Would like to get a GTIL2 up and running in the next few months with my 1200W of solar panels here in the USA.

Has anyone used a single 2000GTIL2 to output to 240v to the panel and use the internal limiter to monitor the current? Would the limiter monitor both phases and work properly even if the legs become unbalanced?

It seems most people here are using two 1000GTIL2's and hooking them up each to a separate leg @ 120v. Is there a benefit to this approach? It seems a single 240v GTIL2 would be the simpler setup.

Yes, I did for a couple of months last year when I had only 8 100 watt panels. The limiter is very unreliable and under/overshoots badly. Don’t use it unless you are always going to need more than you produce, otherwise it will end up increasing your power bill. Don’t waste your $ or time. It was a relatively cheap learning experience though. If you get it very cheap might be ok learning.

Would like to get a GTIL2 up and running in the next few months with my 1200W of solar panels here in the USA.

Has anyone used a single 2000GTIL2 to output to 240v to the panel and use the internal limiter to monitor the current? Would the limiter monitor both phases and work properly even if the legs become unbalanced?

It seems most people here are using two 1000GTIL2's and hooking them up each to a separate leg @ 120v. Is there a benefit to this approach? It seems a single 240v GTIL2 would be the simpler setup.
The 240v inverter is designed to work on a balanced 240 v load. The single ct goes on either leg just before that 240 load. It works because the currents on leg 1 and leg 2 for a 240 v load are equal. The advantage of an 120 volt inverter on each leg is that leg 1 and 2 don't have to be balanced.

Yes. As it's feeding both legs via the double pole breaker, the only way you're going to get accurate CT reading, especially in an unbalanced panel, is to modify the stock CT cable into a dual CT in series. Place one CT on L1 and one on L2 where it comes into the panel. It works great.

Attachments

• IMG_5181.jpeg
    IMG_5181.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 5
Back