diy solar

diy solar

Small 12v setup for Ham radio station

mjgillen

Back in July 2019 I created this small setup to power my 12v Ham radio station. At the time I had one radio which consumed 1amp on standby and like 7 or 8 at full power (100w) transmission. I was using the radio a few nights a week for about 4-5 hours and only transmitting occasionally not all the time. About December 2021 I added another radio that consumed 2amp on standby so I added a second battery in parallel. I never had any issues with anything and never had to use my plug-in 12v power supply.

The setup consists of:

One Mission Solar 375w panel laying on my flat roof
Morning Star 25a MPPT controller model PS-MPPT-25M
2 x Trojan 27TMX 12V 105AH flooded lead acid battery in parallel
Various breakers, buss bars, cables

I bought all my stuff locally. I didn't take a picture of the solar panel in my wife's Prius with me scrunched down could barely drive it looked so funny! The breakers and buss bars were purchased at a local marine store. They actually had a lot of stuff to do solar on your boat. A lot of "blue" stuff (Victron). The Morning Star and stuff for PV wires was purchased at a local solar supply store.

Anyways, I'm not doing Ham radio anymore so I'm going to sell this setup and I want to build a small off-grid setup to power some appliances using extension cords.

Michael

==============================================
Here is my solar panel. The roof is flat on one side then it goes up and there are these tiles. So I laid the panel on the tiles, facing south, I think it a very good angle.

IMG_4114.JPG

Charge controller. One the right is a breaker for the positive side of the PV panel. On the left is the output from the CC that goes to the battery and with another breaker.

IMG_4122.JPG

Two batteries in parallel. Output from the batteries to another breaker then to the buss bar where I distribute the power. One of those pairs of wires goes to a 12v fused power block (West Mountain Radio "RigRunner") which distributes to two ham radios and other 12v equipment.

IMG_4125.JPG

I bought this "remote meter" so I could have it in my radio shack. The rest of the equipment is under a portion of the house.

IMG_4126.JPG

Did this system cause any RF interference?

That’s a good system to have lasted 4 years.

Back