diy solar

diy solar

Small System to power fridge while at work.

RadarRob

So....UPS lost my Delta 2 + Extra battery that I ordered from Home Depot and now they are out of stock everywhere that I check. My plan was to have the Delta 2 power + extra battery, power only our fridge while we are at work, during a power outage. I have a side-by-side and the tag states it pulls 200w while running with an occasional bump to 650w when in defrost mode.

Any thoughts on a similar battery system that can accomplish the same for around $1000? I have also looked at the Anker Solix systems but not sure how good they are. I am not familiar with Bluetti at all. I have a 1600w inverter generator that I will use to top up the system when I get home from work so as long as the system has enough juice to last around 9 hours for my fridge, I'll be all good. I don't want to leave the generator running outside when I'm not at home due to theft opportunities.

Thanks all.

Instantaneous power usage tells you only a small part of what it takes to run a load.

Does your model of fridge have a yellow sticker (even it it's not on it, you can find it referenced online or in the manual)?

That yellow sticker will tell you the kWh/year. Divide that by 365, and you have your daily kWh use. If you only want to run it for 9 hours, take that number and multiply it by 9 and divide by 24.

That said, a typical residential fridge uses about 1.5-2kWh/day.

Do you intend to re-charge the power station from the generator for the next day? If so, you need to make sure it can charge quickly via AC.

Instantaneous power usage tells you only a small part of what it takes to run a load.

Does your model of fridge have a yellow sticker (even it it's not on it, you can find it referenced online or in the manual)?

That yellow sticker will tell you the kWh/year. Divide that by 365, and you have your daily kWh use. If you only want to run it for 9 hours, take that number and multiply it by 9 and divide by 24.

That said, a typical residential fridge uses about 1.5-2kWh/day.

Do you intend to re-charge the power station from the generator for the next day? If so, you need to make sure it can charge quickly via AC.
Thanks for the info. Fridge pulls 1.7kwh per day per the calculation you stated above. I do indeed have a 1600w generator to fast charge the unit and would probably keep the charger plugged in overnight so it’s ready to go for the next day’s use. My overnight load would be around 700w so that would leave plenty to charge the unit since it does the passthru charging. It appears the Delta 2 Max may be just what I need to get this working.

1600W is a small generator.

I would make sure you understand completely how the AC charging works with the unit. It looks to me like it draws a continuous 1200W. If it can do that AND supply power separately, then you should be okay. If it works like an inverter/charger, passing through the generator to loads, then you would only have 400W available for loads. I suspect it's the former, but I would confirm.

Thanks for looking out. It’s 2500 surge and 1600 continuous on the generator output. I’ll limit the AC charging in the Delta 2 Max to 400w and that will leave me 1200w for my overnight loads. Am I thinking correctly here?

Thanks for looking out. It’s 2500 surge and 1600 continuous on the generator output. I’ll limit the AC charging in the Delta 2 Max to 400w and that will leave me 1200w for my overnight loads. Am I thinking correctly here?
The lower limit of charging for the d2m is 200W, it will add loads to that lower limit. Sounds like you will generally be running in passthrough mode where it will keep the battery at 100% and power the fridge/freezer

I have a d2m it's pretty quiet, they were going for $1200 during prime day sales. I paid $1500 a year ago.

diy solar

diy solar
Back